Discuss An EICR on domestic property in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

LesE

-
Reaction score
I've had an EICR done on a property via a letting company I use, (they didn't inform us this was taking place), next thing an invoice comes through the door for £180 for a full EICR, and an estimate on the back for £708, for replacement of consumer unit and fault finding for inadequate earthing. Before I realised, my wife was off like a shot and agreed to all the work. I know the consumer unit was fine, fitted by Norweb, so not 18th edition, but perfectly safe. all the light fittings were plastic. I wanted the EICR report for the observations, but the company will only supply the Domestic Electrical Installation Certificate, saying that the installation is less than 100A, so that is all that is necessary. The letting company shrugged their shoulders and said "we don't know electrics, but he's a nice a guy, and he's done lots of these".
I feel we're being taken for a ride, am I correct?

TL;DR
Company added unnecessary Consumer Unit onto EICR (am I right?), then don't produce EICR report.
If you’ve paid for the report, even though you didn’t order the work, you should get a copy of it in my eyes.

I’d want to be giving it close scrutiny before agreeing to any remedial works.
Unfortunately my wife had already given them to go-ahead before I got to the letting agents, they started within 1/2 hr of the permission, replacing a 6 way unit with a 10 way, it's a small terraced house, what else could we fit?

For a start you didn't order the works so there's no obligation to pay.
And you of course need a copy of the EICR you can't charge someone something and not produce the goods.

Tell the letting agent you want a copy of the EICR, whatever the outcome, pass or fail, this report should be filed. You then have a paper trail and can always revisit it, show documents, also you can look back and see what repairs were done and when.

Any works completed after a EICR usually require a EIC or MW.

I take it the electricianithey used is a member of a CPS and holds relevant insurance through their Scheme as well as having testing qualifications?

You can checktif they are able to carry out PRS EICR (under their scheme) here:
electricalcompetentperson.co.uk

I'm not saying anyone not on the above register is not qualified. But from your point of view you would at least like to know that the person carrying out the test is insured to although the schemes are a waste time they are supposed to offer insurance to the customer.

Last edited:
Unfortunately my wife had already given them to go-ahead before I got to the letting agents, they started within 1/2 hr of the permission, replacing a 6 way unit with a 10 way, it's a small terraced house, what else could we fit?

It seems a bit underhanded to be starting work so fast after gaining permission. So much for a cooling off period, or panning a date to book the work in. Were they still on site when permission was granted?

I’d be pushing for a copy of that report if I were you as you never know if they’ve sold you work that was not needed.

You’ve paid for it, you’re entitled to it.

I’d be curious to know the type of board fitted, was it split load? Does it have Surge Protection.

It seems a bit underhanded to be starting work so fast after gaining permission. So much for a cooling off period, or panning a date to book the work in. Were they still on site when permission was granted?

I’d be pushing for a copy of that report if I were you as you never know if they’ve sold you work that was not needed.

You’ve paid for it, you’re entitled to it.

I’d be curious to know the type of board fitted, was it split load? Does it have Surge Protection.
They've fitted a Hager 10 way dual rcd board, no mention of Surge Protection.

It might be a case for a solicitor to be involved.

The letting agent should have given notice that the EICR was being carried out.
Is the contract with the letting agent in both your names? They shouldn’t take your wife’s instruction unless you’ve previously authorised it.

The work has been done now, and not paying the electrician, who may be an innocent party in this (or may not) would put you in the wrong legally. (But by all means drag your heels!)

Doubtful if you have a photograph of the consumer unit before they changed it…. Maybe an older EICR report? Just something that gives us an idea of age…. And why they think it needed changed.

Unfortunately it is ultimately a fail on your/your wife's part in that you have agreed to a whole load of work based on an EICR that you have not received.

it may be considered that you have been pressured into agreeing to the work if the letting agents told you to go ahead and get it done quick.

however if you have decided to get a lot of expensive work done on a phone call from one person who has looked at the electrics and NOT PROVIDED A PROFESIONAL REPORT then you have been FOOLISH.

In future, always wait for the report to be produced and provided to you.
always get a few quotes for the work
and if the report seems far fetched and you cant believe that so much needs doing, consider having a different company do you an independent report.

If its a letting then the EICR will need to be done under the PRS scheme, but it's very much not a private document - it must by law be given to the tenants - it's probably slightly less clear when you are using a letting agency to do everything (though you may want to reconsider that in future).

The first EICR with the codes that required the remedial work should absolutely be provided to you IMO - as well as a complete 'satisfactory' one. The only time that might not happen is when the faults are minor and have been agreed in advance to be fixed as the inspector works (damaged sockets, etc).

A dual RCD board (even a Hager one) is absolutely only the most minimum and basic compliant choice these days and a good electrician would have given options for RCBO, surge protection etc., with the additional costs.

Whether the work was necessary is impossible to say without the first EICR, but you should seek it out and if you want to post it here with company/private details blocked out it may give us a better idea of whether what was done was reasonable.

If the only issue with the original one was that it was plastic, for example, that would be a clear case of unnecessary work. If there was no RCD on bathroom circuits (and no supplementary bonding), then a new board may have been the easiest option - but choices should have been given re RCBOs, etc.

If they were installing to the 18th edition regulations, Surge Protection should have at least been considered - depending on which version, either a risk assessment/calculation or a statement from you that were willing not to install it should have been sought. It would be interesting to see what the Electrical Installation Certificate says about that.

There should also be a Part P notification, so ensure that has been done.

I've had an EICR done on a property via a letting company I use, (they didn't inform us this was taking place), next thing an invoice comes through the door for £180 for a full EICR, and an estimate on the back for £708, for replacement of consumer unit and fault finding for inadequate earthing. Before I realised, my wife was off like a shot and agreed to all the work. I know the consumer unit was fine, fitted by Norweb, so not 18th edition, but perfectly safe. all the light fittings were plastic. I wanted the EICR report for the observations, but the company will only supply the Domestic Electrical Installation Certificate, saying that the installation is less than 100A, so that is all that is necessary. The letting company shrugged their shoulders and said "we don't know electrics, but he's a nice a guy, and he's done lots of these".
I feel we're being taken for a ride, am I correct?
Unfortunately there appears to be a number of errors made by all the parties involved in this, given that the invoice and quote appear to have been received by post or delivered by hand what was contained in that documentation that prompted your wife to so quickly agree to the work being done without consulting you.
You say that the existing CU that was fitted by Norweb was fine on what do you base your comment the consumer unit is probably a minimum of 25 years old given the Norweb branding so that would put it in 16th edition territory if it is beyond 30 years old then you are back in 15th edition when the PRS only mentions compliance with the 18th edition

What other work was deemed necessary as part of this "EICR"

With regard to the letting agents shrugging of shoulders and the "we don't know electrics, but he's a nice a guy, and he's done lots of these" this seems to be a bit of a get out and questions need to be asked
What due diligence the letting has done regarding vetting this "nice guy's" qualifications and experience,
As to whether the EICR does it actually exist and if it doesn't on what is the quote based for the work that has been done,
Does any certification exist for the work that has been done

The synic in me wonders how much of the £708 found it's way into the letting agents pocket as this could be a nice little earner

I do a lot of work for a letting agent and they have it in the contracts that they will instruct an electrician (99% of time myself) to carry out an EICR if one is not available. the remedials however unless below £200 it always goes back to the landlord for confirmatio nthey wish to proceed, most of the landlords just say go ahead and do what needs to be done. every so often one of them queiries things but its rare. in part due to the nature of agents and them being very choosy on the properties and landlords they deal with.

Reply to An EICR on domestic property in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net