Discuss Antiquated electric system outside...Advice needed in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Sibelius

Hello,

I have just registered this evening hoping I can get some advice on the eclectrical setup in the picture below.

I am looking to buy and completely refurbish this converted ground floor flat, which has sole access to the garden, and therefore the electrical box circled in the picture. As you can see there are cables coming out of the box and feeding electricity to the first and second floor flats. This system seems quite unsafe, and we have a baby, who will be playing in the garden and have his bedroom window directly above the box.

It appears that none of the other houses/flats have this setup, and I am wondering what alternatives there are and roughly how much it would cost to modernise the setup. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Elec 1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
welcome along. if you pop your location on im sure there will be someone who can come round and give you some good advice and a price if anything does need doing. I tbh can`t make out much from the pic

I can only really see the van in the foreground.
Why does it seem unsafe?
Could you just enclose it in some kind of enclosure?

Welcome to the forum btw.

Same here can't make anything out in your photo.... Any chance of much closer photo's especially of the enclosures, including the CU in your apartment.

If none of the other blocks of flats have this arrangement, then i would hazard a guess that the original supply to these apartments was damaged beyond repair. The cheapest remedial replacement, was then deemed using the external route.

where aree the meters? if each flat has it's own meter, then the responsibility up to each meter is the DNO and if unsafe, they should rectify it at their cost.

Reply to Antiquated electric system outside...Advice needed in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net