Discuss apprenticeship opportunities and seemingly lack of them in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Alex Dawson

HI i am writing on here as i am running out of ideas and thought that some wise words or handy experience could be just the thing i need.
After returning to HULL North Yorkshire after 4 years in western Australia, with my a levels in hand and an equivalent of an NVQ level 2 in electrical engineering (certified) i started looking for apprenticeships with training providers all of which insist that there are a ton of opportunities out there. i have since managed to get into both of the providers i applied for and yet after 3 months of non stop searching. nearly 70 pounds worth of stamps and envelopes used to post my resume, results and covering letter as well as over 30 emails to companies it seems that people...

A- Don't have the general decency to return correspondence
B-just don't want apprentices

how can a government or training providers state that we need apprentices, when to even find a company looking for someone is like pulling teeth.

i honestly have concerns that if this keeps up i may have wasted my time and may have to look for something else even though a career in the electrical industry is where i would wish to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are doing all the right things, unfortunately as you say it is very difficult to get anyone's attention.
It is worth reviewing your CV and ensure that there is nothing negative or irrelevant in there, that the CV is clear and quick to display your key skills (tailored to any job for which you may be applying).
Try finding out names of human resources people and calling to ask, then send in your CV and thank you letter as a follow up, they are more likely to read it if they have spoken to you.
Also try going round to places and asking directly the person responsible for hiring, it more difficult to say no in person and also, with a follow up CV and thank you letter, again they will remember you.
Think out of the box on employers, maintenance companies, large employers with on site electrical teams, facilities management companies, equipment installation companies, etc.

Good luck.

Keep in there buddy. It took me two years of on/off searching to finally get an apprenticeship (aged 20). Worked out for the best though as I have an excellent employer.

Reply to apprenticeship opportunities and seemingly lack of them in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net