Discuss Asbestos in night storage heaters in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

joe90

Hi everyone,

I'm just a newbie on here, but hope someone can give me some advice on this. I've just bought an old cottage and wanted to get cracking on sorting the place out, so I removed a couple of night storage heaters after I'd gotten an electrician to disconnect them. All good so far, but then I took them to the dump, the guy there said they had asbestos in them, pointing to a rectangular pad/board between the front panel of the heater and the bricks, less than 1inch thick, encased in fabric which had gotten frayed, and which had some crumbly whiteish stuff inside. The recycling place accepted bagged asbestos, so I was able to leave the heater there, but obviously that got me worried. However, I've since learnt that there was no asbestos in post-1974 heaters, and the original electrician thought it didn't "look" like an old heater (although he didn't check).

Obviously whatever's done is done, but has anyone seen anything like those whiteish pads before and knows what they are? I don't have the make and model of the heater, so I can't check that way...

Just wondering if anyone's seen those pads for insulation in heaters before? I'm now looking at getting an asbestos survey for the house 'cos I'm scared to let my kids in there, although all I'm going on is what the guy at the dump said...

Cheers,

Joe

Look at the original manufacturers website. I had this worry with a load of Dimplex NS heaters a while back, but turned out the insulation was just asbestos look a like stuff.

Post up a photo of a heater on here and someone will hopefully be able to identify it.

I wouldn't worry about the kids, as far as I know, asbestos is fairly harmless unless cut or damaged...

I wouldn't let them go at the heaters with a saw though...

, as far as I know, asbestos is fairly harmless unless cut or damaged...

Depends on the colour of it, there is asbestos in a lot of places we don't realise as well, behind old toilet flush boxes and some old floor tiles, and older artex to mention just 3, as for the original question, whether it is asbestos is something I cannot answer, but if there is a chance it is it will need to be dealt with properly.

Again without seeing it we can't really advise
wouldn't really stress about the heaters though - there gone now
if it puts your mind at rest, get a company in to do a survey. I don't think the price is too bad. But be warned you might not like to hear what they have to say. It's one of those double edged swords.
The biggest surprise I had on an asbestos awareness course was "those old floor tiles that are stuck to the floors in kitchens- look a bit like vinyl' they have the worst type of asbestos usually found in houses.
perfectly safe when left alone, but should never be broken
good luck

Look at the original manufacturers website. I had this worry with a load of Dimplex NS heaters a while back, but turned out the insulation was just asbestos look a like stuff.

Post up a photo of a heater on here and someone will hopefully be able to identify it.

I wouldn't worry about the kids, as far as I know, asbestos is fairly harmless unless cut or damaged...

I wouldn't let them go at the heaters with a saw though...
View attachment heater.pdf

Thanks DNS1 and everyone else who has replied - really appreciate it. Gutted I don't know the model of the heater and it's now gone, otherwise I could just look it up and be done. I've attached the only photo I've got of it on here - from the estate agent - what do you think?

Cheers,

Joe

Looks like a Creda heater to me and not a very old one, it may help with the age of the heater if you have a look at the off peak consumer unit as it may have an install date on it somewhere.

or a dimplex? i think they are ok i dissemmbled some much older ones in the past
they def did contain aspestos
dont pay too much attention to guys at a tip, they arn,t exactly experts are they

Reply to Asbestos in night storage heaters in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net