Discuss Augh family !!!!!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gazthesparky

-
Arms
Reaction score
Long story short I was asked to rewire my girlfriends parents holiday home. They are having major building work done and I said to them weeks ago before the builder started to pass my details on so I could discuss time lines with the builder.

This never happened I have been asking for weeks if the builder needed me to go down and first fix.

Found out today the builder said he would do the wiring at extra cost which he has done but due to me rewiring the rest of the house and upgrade the fuse box he is leaving the cables for me to connect up. This is the shower circuit and lighting circuit.

If I was doing this for a customer I would refuse to connect the builders cables but this is for family. I'm not happy connecting and carrying out a a installation certificate covering his cables

Any suggestions of how to deal with this would just listing in the extent of installation box that the shower and lighting circuit was installed by 3rd party

Would that cover it ?

Any suggestions gratefully received

Just had a row with the girlfriend cos she saying the builder had to do the electrics because I wasn't around. Eventhough I had been asking for weeks to speak to the builder and the progress of the building work

How serious is the girlfriend? Are you sure she's the one? If there's any doubts about the relationship then now's the time to do get two for the price of one and dump her and the builders electrics.

Sounds like you need to stick by your guns on this... explain to your girlfriend and her parents what the situation is... "that you're putting your name to a potentially dangerous installation" blah blah etc.. worst comes to worst you could compromise and say that you could let the builder finish off the rest, then do an EICR, when it comes back as unsatisfactory, give a quote to repair! lol sorry am I being too cynical?

I agree with Glenn. Tell them the builder can finish what he started, or you can go and do the whole job, including replacing the builders cables so you will be happy issuing certs for it.
If they can't communicate with you before the job starts, its not gonna get any better.

I have done quite a few jobs for close relatives and friends. Never made any money on them and been faffed about from pillar to post.
No more for me.

I agree with Glenn. Tell them the builder can finish what he started, or you can go and do the whole job, including replacing the builders cables so you will be happy issuing certs for it.
If they can't communicate with you before the job starts, its not gonna get any better.

I have done quite a few jobs for close relatives and friends. Never made any money on them and been faffed about from pillar to post.
No more for me
Agreed, you end up working for free on most of them...

on all of them lol

On the cert make a note of existing cables/circuits which you havnt designed or installed and which have only visually inspected were accessible no lifting of floorboards or routing of cables known and tested before connecting them to your new CCU

Or get builder finish them bits and sign them off if he can lol

Last edited:

No more for me.
glad i inspire confidance...

Been here many times. Dont do it. You gave them enough chances for you to do it properly. Eicr is the only way. At the end of the day its your career on the line

Thanks all for the relationship advice lol

I was just annoyed yesterday because if been as available as possible to try and accommodate the builder/building works

I think I will still carry out the work but when it comes to connecting the builders wiring then I will explain I'm not responsible for it and I am not happy to connect it and to get the builder/builders electrician back to complete.

I need to actually see the wiring but I have a feeling the builder will have just used the exsisting dodgy DIY wiring that was there from the existing shower. If this is the case I will say it needs ripping out and starting again

Thanks for the advice

Reply to Augh family !!!!!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net