Discuss Bad/Old Outlet killing my PC Power Supply? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

MejiMOCO

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, my pc started turning off randomly like 1 month ago, Me and a expert in PC's found out that it was the Power Supply, it was a generic one of 500W (it came free with the case we bought for the PC)
A day ago, we bought a new Power Supply, a ThermalTake SmartSeries 700W, it worked fine all yesterday, i turned it off in the night and everything was fine.
Today i woke up, ate some breakfast and , when I put the plug of my PC (with the new power supply) a spark came out from the outlet, it wasnt big as hell , but it wasnt certainly small. I asked my brother and he told me everything was fine with that spark, anyways i turned it on and searched some information of little sparks coming from outlets or stuff like that.
Then I went to another room with my phone, called my mom to ask where was the last time that a electrician changed or looked up the outlets of my room, she said that probably some years ago (3-5 years) We talked for like 5 or 10 minutes, then i went back to my room and SURPRISE it is turned off like it turned off randomly with my old Power Supply (the Generic one) ,its worth to say that the sound of the fans of my PC were going up and down since I turned it on, after the little spark came out from the outlet

Now the question is:
"Is that bad/old Outlet killing my Power Supply and turning off my PC Randomly?"

Im not looking for local electricians here because im from South America, I want to know if you guys could please ask me this question, Im just trying to find a solution after 24th December or find an answer for this question, If you need photos or something like that, please ask for them when replying. Thanks : )

It is most likely a bad connection in the outlet, or the contacts that grip the prongs of the plug are worn out or damaged. That in itself will not normally kill the power supply, although repeatedly making and breaking contact as it seems to be doing, can put extra stress on it.

There is a possibility of overheating, and in extreme cases, fire, if an outlet with a bad connection is used even if it seems to be working. Therefore, get an electrician or experienced person to check the connections and/or just replace the outlet, before using it again.

Hi, my pc started turning off randomly like 1 month ago, Me and a expert in PC's found out that it was the Power Supply, it was a generic one of 500W (it came free with the case we bought for the PC)
A day ago, we bought a new Power Supply, a ThermalTake SmartSeries 700W, it worked fine all yesterday, i turned it off in the night and everything was fine.
Today i woke up, ate some breakfast and , when I put the plug of my PC (with the new power supply) a spark came out from the outlet, it wasnt big as hell , but it wasnt certainly small. I asked my brother and he told me everything was fine with that spark, anyways i turned it on and searched some information of little sparks coming from outlets or stuff like that.
Then I went to another room with my phone, called my mom to ask where was the last time that a electrician changed or looked up the outlets of my room, she said that probably some years ago (3-5 years) We talked for like 5 or 10 minutes, then i went back to my room and SURPRISE it is turned off like it turned off randomly with my old Power Supply (the Generic one) ,its worth to say that the sound of the fans of my PC were going up and down since I turned it on, after the little spark came out from the outlet

Now the question is:
"Is that bad/old Outlet killing my Power Supply and turning off my PC Randomly?"

Im not looking for local electricians here because im from South America, I want to know if you guys could please ask me this question, Im just trying to find a solution after 24th December or find an answer for this question, If you need photos or something like that, please ask for them when replying. Thanks : )
Merry Christmas and yes receptacles do break down over a period of time and becoming loose inside the receptacle especially if you use it a lot have you tried it in another receptacle ? It can’t hurt to go ahead and replace the receptacle. I believe that will solve your problem good luck

Merry Christmas and yes receptacles do break down over a period of time and becoming loose inside the receptacle especially if you use it a lot have you tried it in another receptacle ? It can’t hurt to go ahead and replace the receptacle. I believe that will solve your problem good luck
I tried connecting it to another outlet, it worked very fine and it didnt turn off, but it is saying that i only have 8gb of ram when i have 24gb plugged into my motherboard, well i think im gonna ask it with a technician, but if you have an answer for that, thank you

I tried connecting it to another outlet, it worked very fine and it didnt turn off, but it is saying that i only have 8gb of ram when i have 24gb plugged into my motherboard, well i think im gonna ask it with a technician, but if you have an answer for that, thank you
The GB should not have anything to do with the receptacle I’m pretty sure that it needs changing. Good luck my friend

Assuming the operating system is designed to work with more than 8GB, the first step is to remove and reinsert all the memory modules. (With the power off!)

Reply to Bad/Old Outlet killing my PC Power Supply? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net