Discuss Battery to power 1000 watt lights? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jimgranger62

Hello,

Can anyone please help?

Firstly, is it possible to power lights, speakers etc from a car battery/truck battery/stacker truck battery? What sort of battery would be needed to power 600w bulbs and how long would that battery last approximately?

Secondly, can a powerful battery be recharged using solar panels, hydro-power systems etc. and if so how is this done?

I'm planning a bit of a camping/disco in the hills and would like to know how to achieve this without having to shell out for generators and that.

Huge thanks!

Jim

HI Jim.
Get a milk float they have big batterys ,and use it to run a large rotary inverter if you plan to use domestic ac equipment.even then i dont think you will have a very long party
all the very very best in the whole wide world
rumrunner

Jim

The basics (not sure how much you know)

Battery is 100AH (ampere/hour) for example

so it will give 100amps for 1 hour

or 10 amps for 100 hrs

or 1 amp for 100 hrs

for 600W load I=P / V

so assuming each lamp is 12V

I=600/12 = 50A

so a 12V 100ah battery would run 600W lamp for 2 hours

These are all theoretical values based on perfect battery etc

As batteries detrioate with age their capacity diminshes

also with a filament lamp it is not voltage dependant, so it will try and stay illuminated until the battery is completely dead

Any electronics would be voltage dependanent and so would shut off some time during the discharge of the battery

Also most standard lead acid vehicle batteries will not stand discharging too low (it buckles the plates)

High-cyclic batteries are available (type used in milk floats, fork lifts etc) which are capable of 'heavier' discharging and recharging

To recharge without damaging use the C/10 rate, which basically means a 100a/h battery would be recharged over 10 hours at 10amps. Again this helps prevent buckling etc.

Of course to run any AC equipment, you will need to use an inverter, but as previously said, you will need to put a lot in to get a little out!!!

Hello Tony.

To be honest, I know very little. Although the advice you've given has proved VERY useful and i'm glad I came on here. Thank you very much Tony!

Sorry to be a pain in the arse, but would you mind having a look at my new post as you seem to be able to answer my questions in a way I understand. Thanks again Tony!

Jim

Thanks Rum. I'll look into that option.

Thank you for your info too Ian!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Battery to power 1000 watt lights? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock