Discuss BG (British General) consumer units in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

chopper

Anyone fitted one?, I fitted one today what customer provided not too happy with them to be honest, one of the 32a mcbs would not isolate and another 32a mcb would not tighten up on the buzzbar.
B&Q are knocking them out at £50 at the minute for a 10 way,dual RCD high integrity,
anyone else fitted them , what do your think? they look good but I think im sticking to Wylex

fitted several of these, no problems, except 1 that has very tight screws on E and N bars. apparenlty the thread sealer was too strong on some. otherwise, a good CU.

I've fitted two now, wasn't keen when the client first presented the first one but I was pleasantly surprised.

Funny you should mention the mcb not isolating, I had one on the second unit that was giving a pulsing reading when in the off position and another I thought I had stripped the thread on as it would not tighten?

I'll still try another one as it's a cheap unit that looks good and is easy to work with however I will be keeping an eye on any niggles and being sure let BG know if I find any faults.

Fitted a few here too, no major problems apart from one RCD, the neutral tails were the wrong way round. Also found the ferrules were a little loose on the cables provided.

Nice little bubble to let you know it's up ****ed. :lol:

Personally have nothing but good things to say about the BG boards i have seen in the past but I know someone who has been getting this 10way preloaded CU for about 2 years since it first appeared in B&Q. He used to swear by them for quality and value for money but has recently changed his mind as since March time he keeps getting problems, mainly with crap terminal screws, and the same MCB issues as mentioned earlier- perhaps BG are cutting their costs (and quality) on this line?

yes murdock not good, not too impressed with them myself, first time i have come across mcbs that ont isolate

fitted several of these, no problems, except 1 that has very tight screws on E and N bars. apparenlty the thread sealer was too strong on some. otherwise, a good CU.
I've just sent an email to my wholesaler regarding this issue. Fitted 4 CU's in the last week and another one to go in this week. Last 4 all had this issue with the threads on the N & E bars. Had them before where they're stiff however this last four had no way to move. Tighten them and you'll never get them out again or take them out and you'll never get them onto the thread. Had to drill and tap some of the terminals. Much gnashing of teeth, spitting, swearing and cursing BG not to mention the time spent rectifying things. Don't know if I'll get a reply but interesting to note fellow pro's had the same issue with these boards. It's only fair to say I've only used these boards for 12 months or so and other than this very frustrating problem, I've had no other issues with this kit

Ive fitted a good few of these now and generally impressed with the room available and ease of fit

I always remembered BG as crap gear but it appears to be improving somewhat

Don't get me wrong it's not bad other than the E&N bars. Another 3x3 tomorrow and 5x5 Thursday but I'll check the bars before hanging them

Had a reply from them as follows..................stock reply, no major recall or returns, stock reply blah, stock reply, blah blah blah.

Had as to sound off at the time. I was spitting fire trying to get these screws done up.

moan at BG direct. no use talking to the monkey. speak to the organ grinder.

I thought I would try the BG CU's too after a few reviews on here.

The first couple seemed half decent, the last one I installed there seems to be a problem with a MCB.

Personally I do quite like the perspex cover over the MCB's, makes it look tidier rather than a shiny piece of plastic.

I thought I would try the BG CU's too after a few reviews on here.

The first couple seemed half decent, the last one I installed there seems to be a problem with a MCB.

Personally I do quite like the perspex cover over the MCB's, makes it look tidier rather than a shiny piece of plastic.

Am fitting no more of them
sticking with hagar plenty a room looks well good quality

TBH, I think the BG CU's are complete rubbish, however Fusebox on the other hand - I think they are much better quality than most, and a good price.

If asked for recommendations I would put Hagar top, then if the price is an issue, Fusebox.

Reply to BG (British General) consumer units in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock