Discuss Broken neutral hidden in the rafters... in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Whirlybird_1

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi
i have just moved into a property and found one of the bathroom extractor fans not working. After testing voltages and continuity, from the isolator switch,I found the neutral wire with no continuity, but the others ok.
the bathroom is in the roof, so no loft space.
there is an earth cable which is not used in the extractor.

i think you can probably see where this is going.
can I use the earth cable, obviously marking it up as neutral ?

i can see the only other option is taking the plasterboard ceiling down and replacing it.

this bathroom is in a holiday cottage, so safety is a priority.
the initial installation was done in 2007, there is an RCB.

thanks for reading .

erik

Is it wired in single wires in conduit or is it flat twin cabling?

Yep that's where I was heading with my question :)

Then no, you can't use the earth as a neutral. It's against the regs because firstly it's uninsulated internally in the cable and secondly it's of a smaller size than the other conductors in the cable.

Many thanks for the quick reply.

is my only option to take the ceiling down or are there other 'trade' ways of sorting this issue ?

Not ideal but you could wire the fan so it doesn't have overrun freeing up a core that could be used/marked up as neutral. Tbh though I would want to find why/where the neutral is broken and repair/replace.

How can you be so sure the neutral has no continuity? How did you test it?

Just used a test meter to check the cables, found that one to have a problem.
as a test, connected a spare piece of cable to replace this across the room and all worked well.

Just used a test meter to check the cables, found that one to have a problem.
as a test, connected a spare piece of cable to replace this across the room and all worked well.

I would say you have 2 options:

Replace the cable

or

Replace the fan with a non timer version and sleeve the cores accordingly!

might be able to cut a couple of holes about 3" dia. fish new cable in, then refit the cut-out bits bacl.

Many thanks for the advice and help.
the fans are icon with timers, so can just remove the timer module for now.
i will replace the cable when my 'list of things to do' gets a bit smaller.

many thanks

Many thanks for the advice and help.
the fans are icon with timers, so can just remove the timer module for now.
i will replace the cable when my 'list of things to do' gets a bit smaller.

many thanks
I fit these fans as standard on the new builds I do. Like you say just remove the timer module.

Reply to Broken neutral hidden in the rafters... in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net