Discuss BS7909: course/test question in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post here. I've been working on film and TV shows in the lighting department for years, and I'm thinking of taking the BS7907 course. I'd like to ask about the assessment at the end. Although I know how to light and I work with lighting on set, I'm worried that I might fail the exam. I'm wondering how hard it is, and whether I need to complete the multile choices correctly in order to be 'BS7090 qualified'? Or maybe what the pass mark is? Many thanks.

One thing that you really need to realise is that BS7909 is NOT a qualification. It is simply a British Standard and doing a course 'on it' makes you no more technically competent, although it may help to explain some of the reasons why we do things (I say this as someone who lives and breathes temporary electrical systems in the events/show industry worldwide and has done for nearly thirty years).

If you want to be an electrician then train as one (properly).

One thing that you really need to realise is that BS7909 is NOT a qualification. It is simply a British Standard and doing a course 'on it' makes you no more technically competent, although it may help to explain some of the reasons why we do things (I say this as someone who lives and breathes temporary electrical systems in the events/show industry worldwide and has done for nearly thirty years).

If you want to be an electrician then train as one (properly).
Point taken. I appreciate the fact it's not a proper qualification. Is it a pass/fail course, though? I might need to do it.

Point taken. I appreciate the fact it's not a proper qualification. Is it a pass/fail course, though? I might need to do it.
As others have said BS7909 is a standard and while there no 'qualification' as such, there are providers that do a City & Guilds accredited qualification; this means C&G have eyeballed it and, for a fee said "yes you can put our logo on it".

I know of the provider and thier courses (tiered A-D with A being fundamentals and D being a 7909 orientated 2396 design course of sorts), What I know of the company and thier teaching, I would say they know thier onions and rather focus on competent learners than 100% pass rates. Google ought o be able to put you in thier direction.

For a start I'd suggest getting hold of a copy of BS7909 to have a look at and see what is in it and gauge how much you already know or need to learn.

Its expensive to buy a copy yourself but hopefully as you are working in the industry someone you know will have a copy you can borrow. British standards are also available to view online (as far as I know and unless things have changed) at local libraries.

For a start I'd suggest getting hold of a copy of BS7909 to have a look at and see what is in it and gauge how much you already know or need to learn.

Its expensive to buy a copy yourself but hopefully as you are working in the industry someone you know will have a copy you can borrow. British standards are also available to view online (as far as I know and unless things have changed) at local libraries.
Thing is, 7909 itself doesn't actually say that much (he says, rolling his eyes across the bookcase in the office...) it's the two accompanying books ('Application of..' and the OSG) that put most of the meat on the bones. You basically realise that it just says to understand the basic electrical principles and adhere to what's already in BS7671.

Thank you for your replies. Regarding the 7909 test itself, how formal is it? I understand it's an open exam. Is there a strict pass/fail, or does everyone pass (with some help from the tutor?)?

Reply to BS7909: course/test question in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net