Discuss Builder / Customers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I'm just wondering if anyone, and I'm sure you do have any stories or downright misinformation from the description in the title?
I helped a mate do a rewire on an ex council property, empty, and very little furniture left, easy you say, well yes it was apart from one annoying problem, the down stairs floor was floor boarded apart from the Kitchen and a strip of about 4 foot from the front door running right across the house to the back door which meant, no access from the lounge to the dinning / Kitchen area. Could have run our RFC, cooker, gas and water bonds and the 4mm radial for the Kitchen up and over. So we opted to use the area under the stairs as an access the floor was concrete which meant liaising with the customer and the builder, as to the usage of this very small but useful area, were they intending to box it in that sort of thing. No we are going to use it which meant we had to run some containment (plastic 75mm x 75mm trunking around this area a right tight and difficult job, cut to the chase first fix finished let us know when the painting is done and we can come back and finish the job, "righty oh sparky give you a bell" couple of weeks get the call, goes back and what have the barstewards done? yep you've guessed boarded over our nice trunking jobs, couldn't say a great deal as the buider was the customers Brother just had to bite the bullet, dipsticks, sorry for the long post.

I did a partial re-wire on an unoccupied house and ran in new ring mains upstairs, downstairs, kitchen, some alterations, bonding.

As is my way, I plastered my cables into the chases i made to avoid capping/ nailing. Also means I'm not at the plasterer's beck and call for 2nd fix.

The householder/ developer (it was to rent) didn't tell me she was having all the ground floor plaster hacked off a metre for dry rot treatment and then got the next door's lad to come in, and you guessed it, chop straight through all my downstairs circuits!

Luckily, when I wire stuff like this, I'm quite generous with cable and left a bit slack under the upstairs floor boards so was able to pull it down and remake it off.

You left a minimum of a metre spare under the floor boards? Why would you do that? I mean in this instance it paid off but surely that ain't going to happen much.

You left a minimum of a metre spare under the floor boards? Why would you do that? I mean in this instance it paid off but surely that ain't going to happen much.

A metre from the floor.......not quite a metre of excess cable, I'd wager.

Reply to Builder / Customers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net