Discuss Cable weights per metre in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rockingit

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone have a table for Cu weight by dia? As in, what does 1m of 2.5 solid weigh, kind of thing. Like the resistance table in the OSG but for weight.

Cable weight is usually stated on the manufacturers data sheet for the cable.

Copper density is very close to 9g/cm³ so the copper content of 1m of 1mm² weighs 9g.
The copper content of 2.5mm² T+E (for example) must therefore be (2.5+2.5+1.5) x 9 = 58.5g/m

While the weight of copper per unit length is known accurately from the CSA, the total weight of an insulated cable will vary between different detail constructions so one needs the manufacturers' tables. FWIW, the larger the cable the lesser fraction of the total weight is contributed by the insulation. But for small cables it is significant.

A quick google finds tables for 6491x where for example 1mm² is given as 15g/m, which must consist of 9g of copper and 6g of PVC. The weight for 10mm² is given as 120g/m which must consist of 90g of copper and 30g of PVC, so the insulation-to-copper weight ratio is half that of 1mm²

Copper density is very close to 9g/cm³ so the copper content of 1m of 1mm² weighs 9g.
The copper content of 2.5mm² T+E (for example) must therefore be (2.5+2.5+1.5) x 9 = 58.5g/m

While the weight of copper per unit length is known accurately from the CSA, the total weight of an insulated cable will vary between different detail constructions so one needs the manufacturers' tables. FWIW, the larger the cable the lesser fraction of the total weight is contributed by the insulation. But for small cables it is significant.

A quick google finds tables for 6491x where for example 1mm² is given as 15g/m, which must consist of 9g of copper and 6g of PVC. The weight for 10mm² is given as 120g/m which must consist of 90g of copper and 30g of PVC, so the insulation-to-copper weight ratio is half that of 1mm²
Cheers Lucien. You’ll appreciate the reason behind this…. By combining with a rough average of the annual £/tonne of raw Cu, a guide to what that 10m 16a TRS assembled n years ago is now worth. (Because 10pm on a Monday night that’s far more fun than just insurance new for old)

Reply to Cable weights per metre in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net