Discuss Cannot get electrical light switch to turn on commercial PL Downlights, Please help. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Re: Cannot get electrical light switch to turn on commercial PL Downlights, Please he

I would tend to agree with Trev and ensure that you have the correct connections, from the wiring diagrams for the touch switch the terminal identification is apparently the same as you would expect for a two way switch but the function is different.

If you are using a two gang touch switch are you also using a two gang rocker switch?
A two gang rocker switch with a permanent line looped to the commons and individual switched lines one coming from each of the L1s should then be wired on the touch switch with the permanent line to L and the switched lines individually to L1 and L2 respectively.

Using a single gang rocker switch and connecting permanent line to com and switched line to L1 and it is working; then connecting the touch switch permanent line to L and switched line to L1 and allowing 2 minutes after power up before testing then it should work, however you would only be using one of the two gangs on the touch switch.

Re: Cannot get electrical light switch to turn on commercial PL Downlights, Please he

As already said in earlier posts,

The touch switch is only designed for resistive loads and not suitable for inductive loads such as the PL lamps and their ballasts.

The OP needs to choose the correct type of controls as even with a contactor/Relay you end up with inductive load for the touch switch. Then there is the minimum 'holding current' for the triac, which means that load must be large enough, other wise the Triac will not conduct, as the minimum current required for the Triac to conduct will not flow.

Reply to Cannot get electrical light switch to turn on commercial PL Downlights, Please help. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net