Search the forum,

Discuss CE Marking A Machine? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

gerard

Hi,

I have a machine at work which I modified and made major changes to. As part of a college project and for work, I want to CE mark the machine.
Has anyone ever done such a thing or know how to go about it?

Gerard

To CE certify a product, it needs to be tested by a national testing company for complience and issued with a CE certificate. We use a test facility even if we import a product from the likes of China which states its CE approved, as some ISO regestered manufactures can self certify.

has to go to an approved testing company for testing, you can't do that yourself ever.

College project and for work?? what?? I didn't think a college would ask for something like that, they should know better.....just tell them that it would go to a test lab when you write up your worksheets...

There is a lot of confusion about the CE mark. Essentially it is the manufacturer (or if overseas EU importer) certifying that the product meets the relevant standards of the relevant EU directive (fit for intended use).
For most products on this forum it is the Low Voltage Directive. As with all regs there are many loopholes and no enforcement of the regulations so lots of cowboys = some products not complying even though they have CE mark and some products being sold that do not have the mark at all.
To point you in the right direction have a look at this:
http://www.bis.gov.uk/files/file38623.pdf
If you want to discuss anything feel free to give me a call.

Whether or not the machine requires CE marking by an external body will depend on what type of machine it is.
If it falls under certain sections of the MD IIRC, Annexe 4(?), then it will require independent assessment, else it can be self certified by the design & build company.

Reviving an old thread folks as the question i have is somewhat related to the topic. Appreciate the forum experts for their input.

Question: A DC Motor that runs on 24 Volts and is to be used as part of an assembly will need a CE mark?

The machine where the part is intended to be used itself is CE marked but one of its component (this particular motor) has been discontinued so we found another manufacturer in Malaysia who was able to build the motor to our requirements. Its custome built for this machine. Also what paperwork the manufacturer should supply so we don't get hassled by customs or other agencies at the border.

Cheers

Is this a reputable company and can they supply the motor with a CE mark? Can they give examples of previous work supplied to Europe?

Thanks Gerard

Is this a reputable company
The company is certified and accredited to ISO9001

can they supply the motor with a CE mark?
They could but there are costs involved and they see little benefit in doing so as no scope for mass production, just a custom made motor for a particular usage.

Can they give examples of previous work supplied to Europe?
They are reputed in the Asian market but have no direct supply chain to EU. company's been around for 22 years though.

I could be making a total joke out of myself but I was wondering Since they have ISO9001 could they self-certify for CE and affix CE labels themselves?:laugh:

Can you talk to the machine manufacturers about using this part, and if they are from outside Europe they should have an authoritative representative in the EU. I also may be wrong about this because it is a field of it's own, but as long as you are not making modifications to the machine that may compromise safety then you should be fine - you are not changing the function of the machine in any way. Are your customers/employers insisting on a CE marked motor? I will talk to an engineer friend of mine who has dealt with this in the past and post what he has to say on the matter?

as long as you are not making modifications to the machine that may compromise safety then you should be fine -

No Modifications to be performed. It is a replacement component designed to do the job same as previous one.

Are your customers/employers insisting on a CE marked motor?
No, they are not overly concerned as long as there is no Hazardous substances involved.

I will talk to an engineer friend of mine who has dealt with this in the past and post what he has to say on the matter?
Thanks, If you could ask him also what documents should come attached with the motor to have a hassle-free clearance from the customs. I dont mind paying duty as long as i have all relevant paperwork but what i dont want to do is to fall short on some Regs unawares and having the motor confiscated and destroyed by customs.

If you are to go ahead and purchase this motor you will need to get all the testing certification, schematics, etc. to prove they have carried out testing. You should then store this in-case you are asked to produce them in future.

If you are to go ahead and purchase this motor you will need to get all the testing certification, schematics, etc. to prove they have carried out testing. You should then store this in-case you are asked to produce them in future.

Ok thanks Gerard
Your suggestion makes sense.

Reply to CE Marking A Machine? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net