Discuss Certain accents not worth quoting for? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

haha. funny though it's a scouser non-payer i'm taking to court.

i was thinking more along the lines of hanging from them. :eek:

To suggest I'm prejudiced is interesting and rather presumptuous. Of course everyone is different, of course there is good and bad in all people of all accents, cultures, religions etc etc.

After many years I concluded that I only got around a third of jobs I quoted to people with certain accents, but yet my quotes were accepted by two thirds of people without those accents, plus no wanting dicounts (and they would provide the cable etc).

I always clearly and transparently make my rates known and that I don't haggle (and it's the same price if they want to pay cash)

I charge the same rate to people regardless of their accent, and I am always friendly, polite and decent, but you have concluded that it must be down to me being prejudiced.

I would be interested to know how you make your rates clear before you turn up to quote someone, because how can you quote them if you haven't even seen the job, with the exception of some jobs such as fault finding which is an hourly rate?

I am referring to actual fact based on many years of experience, which is completely different from being conditioned to think this way.

I frankly couldn't care less what relgion, accent or culture someone has, and I am not talking about a handful of experiences, but many hundreds over the years.

Prejudice as per the dictionary: 'preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience.'

Being I am not basing my comments on a preconceived opinion and it is specifically based on actual experience, then the word prejudice isn't appropriate.

Andy, To clarify the meaning of preconceived: An opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience.

Being I have decades of experience dealing with many hundreds (if not more) of people with the accents I refer to, who on average only around a third of whom has ever lead to actual work, compared to two thirds of non similar accent customers accepting my quotes, then that is not preconceived it is a fact.

The fact that around a third (with the said accent) do accept my quotes, I don't know when a person with that particular accent calls me if they are one of the 33% or not, but my actual experience tells me it doesn't make business sense to waste my time quoting when statistically I will only get a minority of jobs which in order to get can also often result in hassle wanting discount.

I live in a very multicultural area and as above I perhaps have more experience of dealing with people with the accent I refer to than some other people might have.

I have had regular customers who have this accent and they have used me for years and will hopefully continue to do so for many more years to come (obviously in the 1 of 3 who are happy to pay my rates).

I am grateful to now be in a position where I can be more selective of who I quote to, and it is two way traffic because customers are also in a position to decide who they want to quote them, and who they give the job to.
Andy, To clarify the meaning of preconceived: An opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience.

Being I have decades of experience dealing with many hundreds (if not more) of people with the accents I refer to, who on average only around a third of whom has ever lead to actual work, compared to two thirds of non similar accent customers accepting my quotes, then that is not preconceived it is a fact.

The fact that around a third (with the said accent) do accept my quotes, I don't know when a person with that particular accent calls me if they are one of the 33% or not, but my actual experience tells me it doesn't make business sense to waste my time quoting when statistically I will only get a minority of jobs which in order to get can also often result in hassle wanting discount.

I live in a very multicultural area and as above I perhaps have more experience of dealing with people with the accent I refer to than some other people might have.

I have had regular customers who have this accent and they have used me for years and will hopefully continue to do so for many more years to come (obviously in the 1 of 3 who are happy to pay my rates).

I am grateful to now be in a position where I can be more selective of who I quote to, and it is two way traffic because customers are also in a position to decide who they want to quote them, and who they give the job to.
Anyone who goes to this length to try and justify what they've said just feels guilty and knows deep down they are probably wrong.
I think I've given this type of 'Jeremy Kyle' type thread enough now. I generally don't reply to these sort of threads as they are just silly.
Now I'm the silly one for replying!! :oops:

That’s the trouble with this country at the moment Peter.....if your opinion differs from the perceived vocal minority you must be racist....prejudiced....doesn’t matter that your personal life experiences have led you to form this opinion if you voice it you’re going to hell :)

I feel I must clarify my opinion in this thread :)
I've not thought of anyone being racist or that they are going to hell, merely guilty of generalisation or "tarring with the same brush" which I think is ultimately unfair to future customers if they are to be ignored because of an accent.
I picked the seemingly unpopular term of prejudiced, which I had the meaning of analysed, but which I still stand by as a fair description. It's not a dirty word in my book and I'm certainly not trying to insult people.

Some people have said they are free of prejudice, which is great. I wish I was one of them. I recognise prejudice in my own mind every day, in my thought processes, when dealing with all sorts of people, particularly plumbers. I try to combat these thought processes and have generally been rewarded for doing so, in all aspects of my life.

I understand that these preconceptions can come from direct experience, but also that every new experience is just that, a new and unique experience that may or may not have any influence from any experiences past.
I may have met 50 plumbers and 50 of them have been ****s, but I've not met the plumber I've not yet met. And he might be alright, but I doubt it what with him being a dirty bog wrangling dummy. Arrggghhh there it goes again !

Anyone who goes to this length to try and justify what they've said just feels guilty and knows deep down they are probably wrong.
I think I've given this type of 'Jeremy Kyle' type thread enough now. I generally don't reply to these sort of threads as they are just silly.

What about posting something reasonably intelligent to counter argue my posts, rather than going to the length of quoting what I've said in each post with no foundation, but a poor attempt at amateur psychology and a reference to Jeremy Kyle, and then concluding your post with "now I'm the silly one for replying!! (Ooops).

I've not thought of anyone being racist or that they are going to hell, merely guilty of generalisation or "tarring with the same brush" which I think is ultimately unfair to future customers if they are to be ignored because of an accent.
I picked the seemingly unpopular term of prejudiced, which I had the meaning of analysed, but which I still stand by as a fair description. It's not a dirty word in my book and I'm certainly not trying to insult people.

Some people have said they are free of prejudice, which is great. I wish I was one of them. I recognise prejudice in my own mind every day, in my thought processes, when dealing with all sorts of people, particularly plumbers. I try to combat these thought processes and have generally been rewarded for doing so, in all aspects of my life.

I understand that these preconceptions can come from direct experience, but also that every new experience is just that, a new and unique experience that may or may not have any influence from any experiences past.
I may have met 50 plumbers and 50 of them have been ****s, but I've not met the plumber I've not yet met. And he might be alright, but I doubt it what with him being a dirty bog wrangling dummy. Arrggghhh there it goes again !

I thought you understood my point earlier?

Seriously you are arguing that after 30 years of experience I am guilty of generalisation and tarring everyone with the same brush. Let us not lose sight of the fact that this is my business where I earn my wage, and if it doesn't make business sense to do something, you are suggesting that I should still continue to do it?

Last edited:

Just going to back up your plumber reference;
I played football today and one of the lads who is a plumber left his van key next to mine... identical keys..
He picked them up and asked who’s is who?? I looked, sniffed one and then sniffed the other, passed him his and said yep that’s definitely yours.. it fkn stinks :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Comment:- …...that certainly is not worthy of a reply and is so presumptuous it's worthy of Kyle.

Reply to Certain accents not worth quoting for? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net