Discuss Certain accents not worth quoting for? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Exactly. You've had no personal experience with a customer you've never met, but have preconceived opinions about them.

As you say, preconceived ideas based on your experience of others though.

Andy, To clarify the meaning of preconceived: An opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience.

Being I have decades of experience dealing with many hundreds (if not more) of people with the accents I refer to, who on average only around a third of whom has ever lead to actual work, compared to two thirds of non similar accent customers accepting my quotes, then that is not preconceived it is a fact.

The fact that around a third (with the said accent) do accept my quotes, I don't know when a person with that particular accent calls me if they are one of the 33% or not, but my actual experience tells me it doesn't make business sense to waste my time quoting when statistically I will only get a minority of jobs which in order to get can also often result in hassle wanting discount.

I live in a very multicultural area and as above I perhaps have more experience of dealing with people with the accent I refer to than some other people might have.

I have had regular customers who have this accent and they have used me for years and will hopefully continue to do so for many more years to come (obviously in the 1 of 3 who are happy to pay my rates).

I am grateful to now be in a position where I can be more selective of who I quote to, and it is two way traffic because customers are also in a position to decide who they want to quote them, and who they give the job to.

Andy, To clarify the meaning of preconceived: An opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience.

Being I have decades of experience dealing with many hundreds (if not more) of people with the accents I refer to, who on average only around a third of whom has ever lead to actual work, compared to two thirds of non similar accent customers accepting my quotes, then that is not preconceived it is a fact.

The fact that around a third (with the said accent) do accept my quotes, I don't know when a person with that particular accent calls me if they are one of the 33% or not, but my actual experience tells me it doesn't make business sense to waste my time quoting when statistically I will only get a minority of jobs which in order to get can also often result in hassle wanting discount.

I live in a very multicultural area and as above I perhaps have more experience of dealing with people with the accent I refer to than some other people might have.

I have had regular customers who have this accent and they have used me for years and will hopefully continue to do so for many more years to come (obviously in the 1 of 3 who are happy to pay my rates).

I am grateful to now be in a position where I can be more selective of who I quote to, and it is two way traffic because customers are also in a position to decide who they want to quote them, and who they give the job to.

You didn't need to clarify any of that, I already got what you were saying. :)

I don't really why @peterhyper you have created this thread?

In you op you said 'Am I leaving myself open for criticism admitting this terrible thing', then feel required to challenge people who are critical of your postings. As others have said, its your business, do what you want, but don't choose to make some 'point' on a forum, which can be construed as xenophobic or racist.

I don't really why @peterhyper you have created this thread?

In you op you said 'Am I leaving myself open for criticism admitting this terrible thing', then feel required to challenge people who are critical of your postings. As others have said, its your business, do what you want, but don't choose to make some 'point' on a forum, which can be construed as xenophobic or racist.

I don't always understand why people create their threads, but it's their choice if they want to do so, and the choice of forum members if they choose respond or not. I am therefore entitled to respond to comments people make as that's the way forums usually work. If people are short sighted enough to construe my post to be xenophobic or racist then again then that's their choice.

Have you actually logged every (or even most) calls you recieve and quotes you provide, and whether they have the accent you refer to, and if they have led to a sale/job. And then analysed the data to come up with the figures you mention? Or have you just thought back and estimated how many of these quotes have been succesuful for either catagory.

A pre existing predudice (perhaps originating from bad experiences with those possesing the accent to which you refer), may cause you to subcontiously remember more of the failed quotes from the acentees and more of the sucesful quotes from the others.

Have you actually logged every (or even most) calls you recieve and quotes you provide, and whether they have the accent you refer to, and if they have led to a sale/job. And then analysed the data to come up with the figures you mention? Or have you just thought back and estimated how many of these quotes have been succesuful for either catagory.

A pre existing predudice (perhaps originating from bad experiences with those possesing the accent to which you refer), may cause you to subcontiously remember more of the failed quotes from the acentees and more of the sucesful quotes from the others.
To deep for me I'm afraid.

Yes, every call logged and the data analysed.

Yes, every call logged and the data analysed.
Blimey!....mine have been going on for well over 40 years....and come from bad experiences....and won court cases.....with certain argumentative parts of the community who simply would not pay for agreed work done.
When logging was part of laying railway lines and data was a badly spelt name for a numeric day of the month.

To suggest I'm prejudiced is interesting and rather presumptuous. Of course everyone is different, of course there is good and bad in all people of all accents, cultures, religions etc etc.

After many years I concluded that I only got around a third of jobs I quoted to people with certain accents, but yet my quotes were accepted by two thirds of people without those accents, plus no wanting dicounts (and they would provide the cable etc).

I always clearly and transparently make my rates known and that I don't haggle (and it's the same price if they want to pay cash)

I charge the same rate to people regardless of their accent, and I am always friendly, polite and decent, but you have concluded that it must be down to me being prejudiced.

I would be interested to know how you make your rates clear before you turn up to quote someone, because how can you quote them if you haven't even seen the job, with the exception of some jobs such as fault finding which is an hourly rate?
That’s the trouble with this country at the moment Peter.....if your opinion differs from the perceived vocal minority you must be racist....prejudiced....doesn’t matter that your personal life experiences have led you to form this opinion if you voice it you’re going to hell :)

That’s the trouble with this country at the moment Peter.....if your opinion differs from the perceived vocal minority you must be racist....prejudiced....doesn’t matter that your personal life experiences have led you to form this opinion if you voice it you’re going to hell :)
Shut it four eyes ;o))))))))

this whole pc crap has gone out of hand. now we get people who want their new born brat "gender neutral" and won't call it he or she, how does a child feel being known as "It"?

Nah, man bun effeminate vegan electricians or the ones tatted up with the kids names spelt incorrectly on their sleeve tattoo, usually in London a Millwall or West Ham supporter, take your pick.
a londoner mentioning bad spelling.... that's a joke. when "isn't it" is spelt down there as "innit". then again, in Polish it would have several skis and zeds innit. :D:D:D

Reply to Certain accents not worth quoting for? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock