Discuss CH tools cable stripper. Cable damage problems? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

1Justin

-
Arms
Reaction score
I am about to blame my tools.
48 hours after installing some 2 way lights, my customer called to say the switch had "blown up". (The Varilight switch has a transparent surround and she got to see the fireworks as L-E fault popped the RCBO).

Close inspection revealed that my CK tools cable stripper had put a minute (I mean really teeny, the size of a flattened full stop), nick in the L conductor, about 5mm from the place where it had cut and stripped away the grey sheath. This is also the area where the applied Earth sheath is not necessarily continuous. However hard one may try, things move when cables are bent into a back box.

Cable was 1mm 3+E and the basic insulation is quite thin and vulnerable compared to (say) 2.5 T&E. Bending the conductors into place to fit the face plate had pushed back the earth sheath a couple of mm. (Your trousers ride up when you sit down.. same thing) and enabled the two to touch just at the spot where the grey sheath ends. The touch happened after 48 hours. IR had been all excellent when first done.

What this boils down to: Do I trust the CK tools stripper any more? Shall I bin it? Must I inspect the insulation 360 degree round each conductor with a magnifying glass to detect microscopic damage on each use? - Clearly impractical.

Anyone else had problems with CK tools stripper? (Stanley make an almost identical one).

just put it down to bad luck. i use sidecutters for all stripping up to 6mm.

Is this a stripper designed specifically to remove the outer sheath of T&E? Or is it one designed to strip insulation which you are using to strip the sheath instead?

The CK tools stripper is (in principle) a rather nice tool which can do both sheath and basic insulation with equal ease. It self adjusts, but does have a tensioner which actually does very little. For small cable like 1mm it needs to be set tight.

Did it look like this one ?

C.K Automatic Wire Stripper | Cable / Wire Cutters | NoLinkingToThis

I have used an identical one, although not branded CK, and found it had issues too. The insulation was suffering damage caused by the gripping jaw as the the jaws parted. The Stanley, CK, and the unbranded one I used all look identical apart from the logo.
I used it on a job last year that involved a great many ends to strip. After a bit I resorted back to sidecutters for stripping as there did not seem to be a knack to stop the random damage occurring.
Aim it at the bin is my advice.

Yes they do create those gripper marks. In this case it wasn't those which caused the cut. Damage to basic insulation was ~ 5mm beyond the end of the grey sheath. (Basic insulation and ensuing grip marks was cut back ~8cm further on, so nowhere near the damage)

I use my CK stripper and never have any issues, so long as the screw is tight and you have no previous debris in the jaw, it strips ok, cannot complain.

Depending on much I am stripping, I'll either grab that or the side cutters, I'm good with both, just depends really.

I think you were just unlucky.

Oh, I never strip the outer grey, that's just daft, snip the end of the cable, pull it back, snip it, job done.

No one could accuse me of being a tightwad where tools are concerned, but I wouldn't waste my money on these strippers, a knife and side cutters have served me well over the years.

:wheelchair:

Sidecuttters ... you use sidecutters?? Ye big soft Scouse tart!!

We in Geordieland use our teeth on cables up to 6mm and our buttock cheeks for anything bigger!

never use my teeth on T/E, i have to keep them in good condition for SWA. and down in the 'pool we use our bum cheeks for bending galv. conduit.

Well these modern tools, what the hell is wrong with knife if you are that way inclined, else pull back on the bloody cpc, it don't hurt.
it does bloody well hurt if the cpc snaps and your knuckles hit the wall at 20ft./sec.

Reply to CH tools cable stripper. Cable damage problems? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net