Discuss Change of consumer unit in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

marc8

-
Reaction score
Hi all
went to customers house to do kitchen electrics for builder, whilst at property customer informed me of change of consumer unit to be next day by another firm. Great news as this would give me results to take out socket install another & move oven cable so any problems flagged up.
On my return visit few days later to first fix kitchen I ask to see test results for new board, I get a minor works cert handed to me! This is what you require.
Spoke with client to say I needed full test results for house this was not worth paper written on, customer rings sparks & asked about test cert, mentioned that required results for our works & that we would issue a minor works after our works, told that the test report had not been priced for & the minor works was all they were getting if they require the test paper it would be extra to do testing.
I did not realise it was an option & I had been going about changing consumer units all the wrong way no wonder we were more expensive!
also with all the hype of part P in the news & papers after millions spent on the advertising of it my customer had never heard of it, that about sums it up.
The minor works cert was a full NICEIC contractor & had even put down on the works sheet change of consumer unit & that testing of their works only can you believe that.
Customer now to pay us additional £100 + vat to test house on top of the cost of consumer unit change.

Sounds like another part P DI chancer, its not optional he should of issued an EIC

Why do you need the certs for their work anyway, just crack on with your bit and do a minor works to cover the bits youve done?

minor works for cu change, would like to see how he has filled that out, lol, what was the CU install like?

I think your customer has had a result in a way! getting any sort of certification for works round my way rarely seems to happen at all

In fact it would surprise me even more if they had got the proper certs issued

must admit ive pretty much given up notifying nowadays, whats the point

Last edited:
To keep with this forums policy we are not allowed to mention anything regarding anything which isn't friendly, so my view on the whole post in the OP is= No Comment.

Hi thanks for reply yes we cracked on with our work, now have additional works of testing house as we'll all good for me so I get my work testing & any faults if there is any.

Hi all
went to customers house to do kitchen electrics for builder, whilst at property customer informed me of change of consumer unit to be next day by another firm. Great news as this would give me results to take out socket install another & move oven cable so any problems flagged up.
On my return visit few days later to first fix kitchen I ask to see test results for new board, I get a minor works cert handed to me! This is what you require.
Spoke with client to say I needed full test results for house this was not worth paper written on, customer rings sparks & asked about test cert, mentioned that required results for our works & that we would issue a minor works after our works, told that the test report had not been priced for & the minor works was all they were getting if they require the test paper it would be extra to do testing.
I did not realise it was an option & I had been going about changing consumer units all the wrong way no wonder we were more expensive!
also with all the hype of part P in the news & papers after millions spent on the advertising of it my customer had never heard of it, that about sums it up.
The minor works cert was a full NICEIC contractor & had even put down on the works sheet change of consumer unit & that testing of their works only can you believe that.
Customer now to pay us additional £100 + vat to test house on top of the cost of consumer unit change.

Send a copy of the minor works to the NICEIC - name and shame.

Mark the Envelope "for the personal attention of Emma Clancy - CEO"

But they've paid their subscription and used the logo in its correct format so the niceic will see no problem with!

Write a nice letter to trading standards, and the DCLG

hi all thanks for replies i have inspection coming up in about 20days customer is happy for mr to use their job & they will ask the question what should have been carried out for their own peace of mind.

hi all thanks for replies i have inspection coming up in about 20days customer is happy for mr to use their job & they will ask the question what should have been carried out for their own peace of mind.

You have already got the answer to that, in this thread. It should have been a EIC. The electrician needs to come back and test all circuits from the board they supplied and issue a installation cert for no extra cost...or they should be reported to the NICEIC and trading standards.

You have already got the answer to that, in this thread. It should have been a EIC. The electrician needs to come back and test all circuits from the board they supplied and issue a installation cert for no extra cost...or they should be reported to the NICEIC and trading standards.
This is the correct way to proceed , the customer has to have the job notified by the original contractor with testing catrried out this is the least thing the customer can expect from the person changing he consumer unit ..

oer. Like to be a fly on the wall when this happens - are you joining the NIC too as he will be put in quite a difficult position and I would expect him to state HE will follow it up!!

DO tell us what happens....

I'd also be interested to see what they put on the cert as its just not suitable, I say name and shame them, they clearly should not be in business, see if you can find a website or them.

hi all
been in NICEIC domestic since it started, couple of years ago i mentioned something at my inspection about something i had seen & would not mention contractor, i was told "that unless the end user complained there was nothing that could be done & that anything coming from another contractor they would not comment on".

i could get a copy of cert blank out the name & the number just to show what the cert covered, which clearly states change of consumer unit & testing of their own work.

hi all
been in NICEIC domestic since it started, couple of years ago i mentioned something at my inspection about something i had seen & would not mention contractor, i was told "that unless the end user complained there was nothing that could be done & that anything coming from another contractor they would not comment on".

What utter clap trap.

Reply to Change of consumer unit in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net