Discuss Change to solar FIT payment contracts in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all

Is anyone aware of the change to solar generation FIT payment contracts for existing installations. (FIT payment scheme closed in 2019)

It seems ofgen is changing all existing contracts which paid a set amount for 50% of of the kwh generated .. into only being paid for every unit you actually export.. ?.

I've just received an email to this effect from good energy who deal with our fit payments .. it says no choice here .." you are being being moved from being paid on estimated export to being paid for exactly what you export.
Talking to good energy today they have confimed this is the case .. I can't find anything online to confirm it.

For us this is a huge difference.. we have invested in using all our pv generated power .. and still getting paid for exporting 50% of it.

If anyone can shed any light on this .?

Cheers

Vitoboy

Haven’t heard, but this could be the new “have you been sold a ppi?”

It’s been diesel emissions already…. This will be the next.

I suppose it’s fair for them…. Only pay for what you get from micro generators, not 50% of what’s generated
If you, as customer, use most of what’s generated, then you get less… if you sell most of it back…. Ie, don’t use a lot overall during the day… then you might get paid more.

Swings and roundabouts.

However… most domestic customers only have a generation meter… unless they have an export meter built into a smart meter.
How would they know what to charge?

Indeed .. here I am advising my customers that smart meters are fine ..no sinister games going on .. then wallop.. all the money you were getting paid for power you were charging your battery's with is gone .. but the thing is .. you signed a 20/25 year contract .. so how do they change that without getting a no win no fee court action against them by all those left out of pocket..
Can they really just disregard all those contracts..?

I’ll be having a big read of my contract, just in case there isn’t something in the small print about them changing terms like this.

There could be a case of systems being “missold” by a huge number of fly by night installers who are no longer trading

Hi all

Is anyone aware of the change to solar generation FIT payment contracts for existing installations. (FIT payment scheme closed in 2019)

It seems ofgen is changing all existing contracts which paid a set amount for 50% of of the kwh generated .. into only being paid for every unit you actually export.. ?.

I've just received an email to this effect from good energy who deal with our fit payments .. it says no choice here .." you are being being moved from being paid on estimated export to being paid for exactly what you export.
Talking to good energy today they have confimed this is the case .. I can't find anything online to confirm it.

For us this is a huge difference.. we have invested in using all our pv generated power .. and still getting paid for exporting 50% of it.

If anyone can shed any light on this .?

Cheers

Vitoboy
About bloody time, for to long the poor have been funding the environmental peccadillos of the moderately wealth.

About bloody time, for to long the poor have been funding the environmental peccadillos of the moderately wealth.
What do mammals in the order Cingulata with a leather armour shell got to do with it??

The FIT was introduced to encourage initial interest in solar PV... to accelerate industry growth, bringing the prices down.
Same with the OLEV grants i suppose.

Even without any FIT, having PV solar panels should save some money by producing electricity which would otherwise be bought from grid.... its just the initial outlay that has to be paid for.... so a feed in tariff for however many years was supposed to encourage people buying.

What do mammals in the order Cingulata with a leather armour shell got to do with it??

The FIT was introduced to encourage initial interest in solar PV... to accelerate industry growth, bringing the prices down.
Same with the OLEV grants i suppose.

Even without any FIT, having PV solar panels should save some money by producing electricity which would otherwise be bought from grid.... its just the initial outlay that has to be paid for.... so a feed in tariff for however many years was supposed to encourage people buying.
The problem is none of it is scalable.

None of the "green" alternatives can be rolled out to everyone even if the cost became less prohibitive.

Solar PV only works because its a relatively small contribution to the overall demand. If everyone went solar we'd still need the conventional capacity for when the sun doesn't shine. Who pays for maintaining two parallel generation paths? Same with wind.

Heat Pumps likewise are fine when minority adopted, if scaled up where does the additional electricity come from. What happens when the sun don't shine, the wind don't blow.

Same with EVs, great for the few, impossible for the majority.

All the incentives and schemes may encourage the adoption and reduce the overall cost but without excess generation capacity available now, they'll fail.

It's all idealism and no joined up thinking.

I don't think they'll "fail" as such, but as you say, its idealism.

Every kW we can generate from renewables is less carbon being pumped into the atmosphere.... whether this is directly affecting the planet climate is, however still debatable.

And there's the argument that whatever energy is used to produce battery cells, massive concrete wind turbines and whatever far outweigh the carbon savings so far.

We cant do without coal/ oil/ gas for many industrial processes which simply cant function on electricity alone.... but the less we use the better....

I wonder why UK has to be at the forefront of carbon savings when other countries aren't pushing forward so much. Morally, a good thing, but financially for the country, we cant sustain it.

Just back from a cruise (did i mention i was going on a cruise?:) ) and throughout the ports we docked at in various countries of Serbia, Montenegro, Croatia and Italy there was hardly a rooftop solar panel in sight, as ive mentioned on another thread. Maybe down to installation costs.... but if the governments of these countries were as determined as UK, they would offer grants and funding for take up.

Is this to do with the original tariffs that promised to pay something like 40p a kw generated whether you used it or not for the next 25 years?

I said at the time that there was no way the government would keep its promise for that long and sooner or later the users would get shafted. If so....

Reply to Change to solar FIT payment contracts in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net