Discuss changing halogen downlights to LED downlights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Marc Bonito

hi,

ive got 39 halogen downlights to change to LED lights and i was wondering if someone could tell me if i need to use transformers for them or can i directly wire them in to the existing 1.5 wire ?

Classic !
You would be best to wait until he gets back then if you are doing this job under his guidance. He will specify the fittings for you which will also affect many other decisions about the job.

These threads do make me chuckle.

Just imagine someone buying 39 nice cheap LED's then having to remove them all and replace them!

Sitting around waiting for my annual grilling from Elecsa!

no worries all i was wondering if for LED downlights if you need a transformer because at a previous job i saw someone jus wire them straight in with no transformer

do some more revision on mains/ELV powered lights. it would seem that you're not quite ready to install these lights yet - based on your query as to whether or not they require transformers. you should hang-fire until your gaffer gets back.

Gee, you guys are harsh:wink5: On the basis that you are an apprentice spark - if the existing fittings are GU10's then you can probably do a straight swop with appropriate LED GU10's. If the existing fittings are ELV/MR16, take the advice given and wait for your boss to return.

are harsh ive only just left college and am wondering lol dont worry i wont be taking the job on on my own , how would you know if existing lights are gu10s ?

Reply to changing halogen downlights to LED downlights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Done a job yesterday, remove old 12v halogens and replace with mains, gu10 downlights. Fitted some LED gu10's no issues. Got a call today saying...
Replies
Views
Hi I have an electrician over and he took over from an incompetent builder. The builder already installed the wiring but the electrician told me...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Great forum with lots of advice read and greatly received over the years! I have a question here that I am hopeful somebody here can...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am currently in the process of building an extension and I need to purchase some led downlights for my kitchen but unsure how many I...
Replies
Views
Hi all I've been changing the halogen downlighters in my house to LED's. I have three rooms that use dimmers, two of them have two switches each...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock