Discuss Cheeky git! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D Skelton

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
So we're running into the evening yesterday trying to get a job finished. It's 7pm and there's about 30-40mins left, then pack up. My apprentice starts whinging that he's not being paid till 8pm and that he wants to go. I say to him to just muck in with the rest of us and we'll be done soon. He carries on whining about me being unfair, so I say to him "look fella, it's not like I dock your wages when we finish early is it?! You don't seem to complain about being paid for going home early, so suck it up!". He then throws a little bit of a man wobbly saying that he isn't working because he wants to be and that he's doing me a favour by working for me, then leaves the site. I run out after him as he's getting into the van and whip the keys out the barrel.

First time I've ever had to fire someone on the spot!

The bare face cheek of it! Go out of your way to help someone and get that in return.

Balls to him, the lazy little f***er had no initative anyway.

It's a sad reflection on some of the youth of today that they know nothing of team work.

Would he be worth keeping if he thinks about it and says sorry?

It's a sad reflection on some of the youth of today that they know nothing of team work.

Would he be worth keeping if he thinks about it and says sorry?

Not really. He was one of those 'finish a task then just stand around waiting to be told what to do next' types.

maybe it's time for some fresh blood then. somebody with initiative.

A career in McDonald's beckons for the goon. Sadly it's not just apprentices these days many a trademan thinks that's the way as well as soon as the dinner bell rings it's down tools. Doesn't work that way nowadays.

Sythia started a similar thread yesterday about his apprentice, it would seem it is just the way of the world at the moment.
Damian Have you ever considered a mature apprentice, I know it can be awkward financially due to them having more outgoings mortgage etc, but I bet you would get a lot more Bang for your Buck.
I guarantee some one in their mid 30's - 40 would have so much more to offer and would have better work ethics as well.
Just food for thought for you!!

I'd of done the same Skelton...... and if you think about it this little chump has probably been pi$$ing you off for quite a while and this was the final nail in the coffin !!!!
Give it a few day's and he will be begging for his job back !

What is it with apprentices these days? None of them seem to have any initiative or get up and go and they all seem to think the world owes them a living

I'm an apprentice myself and I do get annoyed sometimes when I work till 8 at night to get a job done but just part of being a team player sure my boss don't wana be there either but if the jobs gotta get done then you stay and finish it…also like you said you don't dock his wages when you finish early so it's fair enough it provably makes up the extra time

I stopped working with apprentices a long time ago - most of them are jobs worth - i even have a 17yr old step son living with me and ive tried working with him and we nearly ended up killing each other, the body language was unreal, the resistance to learn is unbelievable.

I now work with a 45yr joiner/can put his hand to anything with his own van and tools - yeah it costs me more per day, but does it? he turns up 15 mins before me all day everyday, doesnt moan (only a little sometimes) and mucks in just as hard as me.

I blame the schools, not the parents, ive done everything i could for our 17yr old and its engrained on the brain there attitude as it come from the schools.

Just check your standing with that one mate,as the people at the job centre,or what ever it is now,will. If you flirted him out of his normal hours,without him agreeing to stay,he can say he had a visit to his poorly nan booked,and you will struggle... just a thought,as instant dismissal usually requires some form of gross misconduct,which "not getting stuck in",may not be viewed as. Personally,mate,i think you did right,the "book" means diddly to me,but i'm on my own. My first move would have been to offer him the gloves for a straightener,but too long in the tooth to be sat with the muskrers with me belt and laces gone...:stooge_curly:

I stopped working with apprentices a long time ago - most of them are jobs worth - i even have a 17yr old step son living with me and ive tried working with him and we nearly ended up killing each other, the body language was unreal, the resistance to learn is unbelievable.

I now work with a 45yr joiner/can put his hand to anything with his own van and tools - yeah it costs me more per day, but does it? he turns up 15 mins before me all day everyday, doesnt moan (only a little sometimes) and mucks in just as hard as me.

I blame the schools, not the parents, ive done everything i could for our 17yr old and its engrained on the brain there attitude as it come from the schools.

Sorry mate but I think its the parents at fault, not the schools

In some cases - but i can tell you first hand that our lad came out of school with no life skills or any idea of how to knuckle down and get on with the big wide world.

Now as glenn said the other possible solution is to take on the more mature apprentice with hopefully a better work ethic !!
But i had a guy in his mid forties with me on site and i was in my late twenties at the time, ok so i was not the most experienced sparks alive but had been qualified a few years and had quite alot of experience.
The problem i had was this gent just didn't want to know any of what i was asking of him and thought he knew best ALL the time. I know this was because i was alot younger and he just hated me telling him what to do or try and advise him.
I eventually palmed him off with somebody else and he didn't last long with the firm !!
I generally had an idea if i can work with somebody within the the 20 minutes of meeting with them just by there attitude !!!!!

Kids have no inclination towards work, full stop. Why should they? The govt now insists on keeping them in education until 18, they stand no chance of getting a part time job as a teenager even if they wanted one due to either modern work laws or competition from the far more reliable OAP market. They see their 'elders' stay on for the big party which is University gaining a pointless piece of paper before going off to 'find themselves' by back-packing for a year. Then they come back to live with mum and dad again. It's a cycle that sucks.

Plus, at school, they are taught piecemeal fashion and have no inclination to 'do the next bit' until they are told. I despair with both of my teenagers, I really do.

Kids have no inclination towards work, full stop. Why should they? The govt now insists on keeping them in education until 18, they stand no chance of getting a part time job as a teenager even if they wanted one due to either modern work laws or competition from the far more reliable OAP market. They see their 'elders' stay on for the big party which is University gaining a pointless piece of paper before going off to 'find themselves' by back-packing for a year. Then they come back to live with mum and dad again. It's a cycle that sucks.

Plus, at school, they are taught piecemeal fashion and have no inclination to 'do the next bit' until they are told. I despair with both of my teenagers, I really do.

me too.

Bit of a squandered oppprtunity there from the apprentice ... ah well there are plenty of young fellas chomping at the bit to get a start, look at this forum. Out of curiosity who's van was he going home in

Just check your standing with that one mate,as the people at the job centre,or what ever it is now,will. If you flirted him out of his normal hours,without him agreeing to stay,he can say he had a visit to his poorly nan booked,and you will struggle... just a thought,as instant dismissal usually requires some form of gross misconduct,which "not getting stuck in",may not be viewed as. Personally,mate,i think you did right,the "book" means diddly to me,but i'm on my own. My first move would have been to offer him the gloves for a straightener,but too long in the tooth to be sat with the muskrers with me belt and laces gone...:stooge_curly:

I get what you're saying bud.

Meh, I ain't that bothered, he can go blabbing if he wants, he wouldn't get anywhere, I'd make sure of it.

Reply to Cheeky git! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net