Discuss Circuit breaker box question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

geosochi

DIY
Reaction score
Greetings, everyone!
I am trying to do a small, simple job: replacing an outlet in one of the bathrooms on 2nd floor of our house.

To do this, I am trying to shut off the power to that outlet. The breaker box was labeled by someone else (probably the previous owner). Alright...

So I tried all switches, one by one, but none worked. I even thought I missed one, and switched them ALL off, and that still did not shut off the power to that outlet. In fact, much of the house still had electricity!!!

What is going on? Any ideas? Did I miss something obvious?

(I have not noticed a second circuit breaker, either)

I would greatly appreciate any help!
-George

Several possibilities

1. One or more faulty circuit breakers
2. There is another breaker box that you are not aware of
3. Some circuits are fed from a neighbors property either accidentally during a renovation or deliberately to steal electricity.

A visit from a local electrician would be a good idea unless you have the skills and equipment to systematically map out what is fed from where.

Several possibilities

1. One or more faulty circuit breakers
2. There is another breaker box that you are not aware of
3. Some circuits are fed from a neighbors property either accidentally during a renovation or deliberately to steal electricity.

A visit from a local electrician would be a good idea unless you have the skills and equipment to systematically map out what is fed from where.
Do you have a panel outside beside your meter, if so you should be able to cut the main breaker off and kill all power. Like stated above do you have a panel inside your house, if so you probably won’t have a main breaker installed in it to kill all power which is normal.

Reply to Circuit breaker box question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net