Discuss Class 2 for class 1 with no earth in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Quick one....again

client wants class 1 light fitting in kitchen. At preset no earthing on lighting circuits. All existing fittings are class 2. Is there any way a class 1 can be fitted with no earth? Say if its noted down on certificate and client made aware of this. All circuits protected by RCBO's. thanks

Quick one....again

client wants class 1 light fitting in kitchen. At preset no earthing on lighting circuits. All existing fittings are class 2. Is there any way a class 1 can be fitted with no earth? Say if its noted down on certificate and client made aware of this. All circuits protected by RCBO's. thanks

No! Not possible. Not for a professional.

If you were testing this premises and found a class 1 fitting with no CPC you would be coding it as a Code 2 FAIL!

Potentially Dangerous urgent need of remedial action required !

So you would be leaving the premises in a worse condition IMO !

If I bring a separate earth for that light fitting then it iis only needed for the class 2 accessories ? Or would it be advisable to earth control switches

Class 2 accessories don't need an earth. Class 1 do.

Yes earth for the class 1 accessories. Sling a 4mm in trunking to the light, siiimples.

Ultinator im slightly bemused by your opening post, the only thing you need to ask yourself is why fitting a class one without earth could be dangerous and you will answer your own question can I ask you to explain why its dangerous please... regardless to the fact you now know it dangerous but why?
If other posters can refrain from answering this question for him ....its the best way to learn and understand his situation.

Ultinator im slightly bemused by your opening post, the only thing you need to ask yourself is why fitting a class one without earth could be dangerous and you will answer your own question can I ask you to explain why its dangerous please... regardless to the fact you now know it dangerous but why?
If other posters can refrain from answering this question for him ....its the best way to learn and understand his situation.

This is exactly the sort of question I would have thrown at me all the time on my apprenticeship, and although I thought it was mean and meant to show me up at time, its helped no end with thinking through what is dangerous and what is 'not right', a skill especially useful on I&T

Uh-oh, someone's in front of teacher

Don't undermine me please ;) .... its ok giving the answer as many have but no-one has explained why which is the massive failure of the modern college system now which is dumbed down... had the OP known why it is dangerous such a question would never of been asked so if he learns why he can apply this to other situations and make a safe judgement call if needed.

But he's listed himself as an electrician, but not a strong one, he can't even pick up a regs book

Anyone can list themselves as electricians now you can even get it on paper legit after 5weeks so that really doesn't prove anything the job title has been watered down so much Electricians now look up to plumbers ..... now My Electrical Engineer/Technician still hold its respected identity and ive design enough controls and machine to prove my title, stick a Electrical Trainee wonder with no on-site experience in a house and say go-on then and you'll see what a disaster really looks like.

I know I've seen their work round here, this is now my 20th year in the industry and my 13th year of running my own business,,,But please don't forget the plumbing trade too have their five week wonders as well

Reply to Class 2 for class 1 with no earth in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net