Discuss Communal area fed from flat EICR question. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Apologies if this is a regular question.

I've been asked to quote for an EICR for a small block of flats, converted from a house. 3 x houses, terraced together, each has 2,3 or 4 flats inside, probably in the 70's/80's, with some signs of alterations.

I've been asked to provide an EICR for the communal areas only, not including the supply cables to each flat - however.......

In each block there is a single phase DNO supply for each flat, TNCS. Each to a meter, switch fuse then various cable types out to the consumer units. I've found most of the c/u's in the communal hallways, generally outside each flat front door.

One of the boards had a circuit from the c/u to a smaller sub board next to it which supplies the communal lights and entry phone. So effectively that particular flat is paying for the power to the communal area as well.

My question is - Obviously I have to do the supply cable from switch fuse to c/u, but if my brief is to just do the communal circuits, would I not have to test all the circuits on the c/u supplying the sub board? i.e, the circuits inside the flat? Or am I ok to simply test the supply cable to c/u, the one 'distribution circuit' and then the sub board supplying the communal power?

Fell like I've made that question more complicated that it needs to be!

You need to clarify it with the client in writing as to the scope of works. You can then put in place Limitations for parts not included in the Report. Normally you just test the circuits applicable to the communal area services even if they are from a tenants consumer unit. The dwellings would not normally be part of this however you need to confirm it.

If you have been asked only to test the circuits supplying communal areas then that is what you test, be sure to very clearly state the extent of the EICR. Obviously you will need to provide supply information and the details of how each DB is supplied as normal. But if you are only testing (say) circuit 1 on a particular DB then your schedule will only list circuit 1.

You need to clarify it with the client in writing as to the scope of works. You can then put in place Limitations for parts not included in the Report. Normally you just test the circuits applicable to the communal area services even if they are from a tenants consumer unit. The dwellings would not normally be part of this however you need to confirm it.

Perfect, thank you Westward.
[automerge]1589024494[/automerge]
If you have been asked only to test the circuits supplying communal areas then that is what you test, be sure to very clearly state the extent of the EICR. Obviously you will need to provide supply information and the details of how each DB is supplied as normal. But if you are only testing (say) circuit 1 on a particular DB then your schedule will only list circuit 1.
Thank you

Reply to Communal area fed from flat EICR question. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net