Discuss Company Van provided?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

John Matrix

Hi I have a quick question to ask on behalf of some lads at work. I have a Company Van for use to and from work because I go out on my own jobs. A few other lads are using their own car and booking mileage for it. Sometimes helping on jobs and other times doing their own stuff on jobs. All of us are Direct Employed. The question is if someone is Direct Employed, does the Company have to provide transport to and from place of work? Surely if someone is Direct they should not have to use their own car ? Otherwise they may as well be a subby?? Surely transport should be provided? What do you all think?

Is the issue they don't want to use thier cars anymore?

Presumably the car users agreed to use thier car and receive a mileage payment at the time they were employed or at least were aware of it so could have not taken the job if they objected to it?

You will have your tax allowance changed for having a company vehicle. They will not.

They can claim mileage. However they also need to inform their insurers that the vehicle is now being used for business.

Employers do not need to provide transport, it'll be in their/your employment contract.

You will have your tax allowance changed for having a company vehicle. They will not.

They can claim mileage. However they also need to inform their insurers that the vehicle is now being used for business.

Employers do not need to provide transport, it'll be in their/your employment contract.

An employer should really check that employees using there own cars for company business have the relevant insurance for business use.
Often this is done with a form that is signed by the employee stating that.
So many people think they are making a packet out of mileage claims at 40pence per mile when there fuel costs only 10pence

Add in depreciation, wear and tear, additional insurance premiums, extra servicing etc.
The returns are negligible.

An employer should really check that employees using there own cars for company business have the relevant insurance for business use.
Often this is done with a form that is signed by the employee stating that.
So many people think they are making a packet out of mileage claims at 40pence per mile when there fuel costs only 10pence

Add in depreciation, wear and tear, additional insurance premiums, extra servicing etc.
The returns are negligible.

Yep, we used to check this along with the DVLA online license check to make sure people weren't banned etc...

A couple of lads did make money on it, buying banger's and running them to death.

There are no tax implications for a van provided solely for travelling to work as described by the OP

It's a win-win really. Even if personal use & fuel was included, on a van it's a fixed rate I pay about £60 a month extra tax for mine.

I recall the van would need to be left at the business address. Once you start driving home in it, things start changing. Believe its called benefit in kind. Like if you did some private mileage in it going shopping etc, although very small mileage would be considered ok. If you were required to be on call for example, then the van at home would be required & have no tax implication.

PS When I first started in the 70's, I used to carry all my tools & some materials on my moped. Never got any mileage, even when I got a car.
Your mates should check their contracts.

Presumably the car users agreed to use thier car and receive a mileage payment at the time they were employed or at least were aware of it so could have not taken the job if they objected to it?
This is the thing. I agreed my position would include a van. They did not. So now they are being asked to use their car but are not happy with it

This is the thing. I agreed my position would include a van. They did not. So now they are being asked to use their car but are not happy with it
Then they will have to re negotiate with your employer.

R U paid more than them?
Are you more experienced than them?

There pay and company vehicle will depend on these things.

I recall the van would need to be left at the business address. Once you start driving home in it, things start changing. Believe its called benefit in kind. .
We use our vans from home. The company is based in Swindon but all us 'on the road' guys live all over the UK so would be impossible to leave the van at work. Part of our contract is that we don't use the van for personal use ;)

It's all in the detail.

Are these existing employees who as a condition of employment needed a valid driving licence?
How long have they been employed?
How are they getting to sites currently?

Is there anything in thier job offer / contract stating they must have a car available for transport to site?

In the event of a car failing to start in the morning or breaking down during travel, will the employees still be paid or will they be expected to hire a car to continue travelling?

It's extemely unlikely that personal car insurance with business use would also cover goods carried, so if any goods were stolen or damaged in transit do the company accept it would be thier loss? (just as it would be in a company van)

I had a company provided van for 23years, with fully financed unlimited private use, the only cost being HMRC tax on benefit of use and on fuel.
I was also on Callout for that time and the Benefit tax still applies.

Yes this is the issue. They think that all employees should have a van. But not all employees run jobs. Or go out on their own. Plus having a van means running back and fourth to the yard to pick things up. Something else they don’t wana do. If I’m being honest. They don’t wana do a fat lot of anything other than have an easy day, go at 4 and be payed top dollar for it.
We can all feel entitled from time to time and have to knock ourselves back down to earth but they should have agreed all this at the interview stage.

We use our vans from home. The company is based in Swindon but all us 'on the road' guys live all over the UK so would be impossible to leave the van at work. Part of our contract is that we don't use the van for personal use ;)
Me too. The first thing I say when I go for an interview is I have to have a van to go home in. The mrs uses the car in the day. Is this an issue? If it is I don’t even bother taking the interview any further.

I worked for a company where we had a 'company car' which we took home. Until a new boss came along who didn't like that perk. Quoting tax liabilities, we had to leave the car at the base, and travel under our own steam to pick the thing up to do our job. Arsehole, but he may have been factually correct?

Reply to Company Van provided?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock