Discuss Compromised/void warranty on panels if original connectors replaced/cut off in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

"And even if they do, what are they likely to do about it?" Panasonic not going to replace them if connectors been replaced that’s what I been told.

Maybe. But how would they know until you've sent the faulty panel back?

It is no point taking that risk as a customer best way just ask Installation company to replace them.

I think that would be unreasonable. For a contractor to do so he would need to buy new panels, erect a scaffold and spend a few hours replacing them. The panels are not going to fail.

My point is that Panasonic's stance is unreasonable. The contractor's actions are neither dangerous nor shoddy and it is unfair to lumber this high expense to a contractor that has performed a perfectly acceptable installation.

Things change in this industry, well almost daily.
When installers were changing connectors it was not a problem, Sanyo were not Panasonic at the time either.
Now this point has been highlighted, maybe the installers who are aware of it will use a different arrangement, spend more money to buy adapters, or just not use Panasonic maybe.

My advice would be, do not worry about it unless you have a problem, there are thousands of panels fitted worldwide that have had connectors changed, if changed correctly they will be fine, if they have not been changed correctly then you chose the wrong installer in the first place.

Try to tell that customer "don’t worry it will be fine" is not very professional. They need to see on black and white that they have warranty. Especially now it had been highlighted with Panasonic they will scrutinize every panel with replaced connectors if they fail. If that’s was you, would want have warranty? I am sure panels are fine but with out warranty.

“Maybe. But how would they know until you've sent the faulty panel back?” You would have to send faulty one back as they require them back under warranty condition. In event that’s they already send replacement then they going to charge for the panel they send you if they found out that’s warranty was compromised “connectors”, is quiet obvious that’s cable will be shorter, even if you replace back to MC3.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think your creating a problem where none exists, and stiring up things completely unnecessarilly.
Yes, this may be Panasonics stance.
Is that a probem? no.
Is it reasonable or in the customers best interests to bankrupt a company over a problem that doesn't exist? No
If a panel fails, the company will deal with it, otherwise, leave it alone, it's a non issue.

I'm having some difficulty understanding what your trying to do here, although I have my suspicions. This is a non issue.

The customer doesn't have a concern, what we have is, for some reason, a non UK registrant on a UK forum trying to create a concern for UK customers where non exists, nor needs to exist.

Changing the connectors is well within the competence of any UK Solar qualified electrician.
The fact it may be beyond the competence of those in other countries is neither my concern nor my business.

suggesting companies replace entire systems because of a couple of connectors is madness, and if it did happen would bankrupt some installers, although I am having some difficulty understanding the meaning of your paragraph where you quote my sentence on this.

If you don't like the way we do business over here. don't do business over here.

It does not invalidate your BMW warranty if you change the tyres.

added10:13 17.06.12.
interested that you (Valet) have deleted most of the post this response was to, any particular reason?

Last edited by a moderator:
This concern about replaced connectors not just UK issue I am sure it’s happened in other countries as well. For your info moggy I am UK customer.

“Maybe. But how would they know until you've sent the faulty panel back?” You would have to send faulty one back as they require them back under warranty condition. In event that’s they already send replacement then they going to charge for the panel they send you if they found out that’s warranty was compromised “connectors”, is quiet obvious that’s cable will be shorter, even if you replace back to MC3.

And at the point that they decide to charge for the panel, it would be down to the installer. At which point I would loudly tell Panasonic to whistle long and hard out of their backsides.

Ok Valet, just to put the record straight here.
I have never personally cut a connector off of a Sanyo or Panasonic panel.
My post on here was to try and help, nothing more.
Since you feel that my input is unprofessional I will take a bow and leave this stage.

I've been told in OZ they are taking installations down think his problem over there not over here
it don't have to be a panel you cut the plug off it could be a new fridge the manufacturer says the same thing!

This concern about replaced connectors not just UK issue I am sure it’s happened in other countries as well. For your info moggy I am UK customer.
Clearly, otherwise you wouldn't have used a UK install team. What I said was you aren't a UK registrant.

I wonder how many installations of Sanyo panels will have a failure directly attributable to an installer fitted plug over the next 30 years.
None I suspect
It's not a problem, unless of course some bright spark stirs things up and makes it one

Clearly, otherwise you wouldn't have used a UK install team. What I said was you aren't a UK registrant.

We have solar system installed in UK and abroad. Connectors been replaced
on both systems . We used on both systems British installation company. Hope that's clarify some confusion.

I have imported hundreds of solar modules in my business from Kinve Solar over the past few years but as soon as I have a warranty problem with 20 of their 200W solar modules having the EVA gone yellow, and waiting for them for 3 months to get anywhere near a decision, they now have effectively washed their hands of the problem. To me, this makes a farce of the warranty offerered and third party insurance on warranty offered by some Chinese manufacturers.
Has anyone else had similiar problems with Kinve Solar?

I have imported hundreds of solar modules in my business from Kinve Solar over the past few years but as soon as I have a warranty problem with 20 of their 200W solar modules having the EVA gone yellow, and waiting for them for 3 months to get anywhere near a decision, they now have effectively washed their hands of the problem. To me, this makes a farce of the warranty offerered and third party insurance on warranty offered by some Chinese manufacturers.
nope, but that illustrates the reason we've now moved away from chinese panels entirely, as we have strong suspicions about quality control issues and whether they'll stand the warranty.

Bit nuts really given how much stock most of them are sitting on not to just replace them IMO, guess it sets a precedent or something.

It would be better to start your own thread about this. This is why we only buy panels from reputable manufacturers with a an established and lengthy trading history. Not the cheapest way of doing it, but you get what you pay for. I am sure this is likely to become a problem in this country also thanks to firms bulk shipping cheap panels direct from whoever could give them the best deal. It's just a shame that some customers have had to suffer having cheap Chinese panels rebranded to sound like something they aren't in order to increase the profits of companies who now won't be around to service the warranties.

Reply to Compromised/void warranty on panels if original connectors replaced/cut off in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock