Discuss control panel building in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

albi

-
Reaction score
Any one done any panel building and if so is there a code ofpractice for it.
Other thing is emergency switching of a motor does this haveto be 12 - 24v, panel board made for a conveyer. Now they say it does notconform. Does any one know of any standards?

Cheers Graeme

I used to do loads of panel design and builds. Basically, selection of equipment has to comply with regs as does erection. If you are using different voltages then obviously you have to label for that and seperate circuits etc. Depends on design as to your control voltages for motor control/e.stops/guarding etc. Are you working from drawings or making it up as you go? Who is saying it doesn't conform and why?

The person who ordered the work just said he needed tocontrol a motor stop start with a photo sensor at the end of a conveyer to stopwhen the beam was broken then start again when the beam was made. But now theyare on site (far end of the country) the company that has them are saying thatthey do not conform and the e/m switching is not low voltage according to panelbuilding code of practice

I've seen up to 110v control voltage on new panels, and 415v on old gear.

Are you in a place where ATEX might apply? Flour mill, coal plant, petrochemicals etc...

I can only see this being reason to it not complying.

Before designing any panel a risk assessment is needed to assertain the level of the safety system, this is usually selv 24v DC but not exclusively, if you are unfamiliar with risk assesment and safety level grading then you already out of your depth and shouldnt be designing and building panels unless it is deemed there is no risk.
Next you need to design your control system and have in mind it should be fail safe so if a limit switch fails or losers position it isnt going to create a dangerous situe ( just had this on a lathe with a mechanical forward/reverse lever holding 2no' limits in normally closed when in neutral, a limit slipped position when in neutral causes machine to set off without notice.... luckily no-one was injured but shows what i mean).

Then its the basics of fitting it all together choosing the right gear and sitting back and admiring your adult mechano set.

P.s. you've ask us a question and also queried about voltage, is this the reason they say it dosn't conform, what E-stop system have you got if any and have you used a safety relay or just got it dropping out main contactor??? We need alot more info so as to comment or guide you, what exactly is this conveyor doing? what are the risks of workers been injured or killed by this machine ..... and if injured would it be minor or major??

More info required. Have they stated why it doesn’t conform? That’s where we need to start.

Just to add, did they give you a spec to start with? If not it’s as much their fault.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not being disrespectful here, but it seems that the firm should get a panel built to their specifications then you can install it as per instructions. As many have said already, there are several safety and design factors to consider and if you are not really conversant with any of them, better to get someone who has experience in this field.

Reply to control panel building in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net