Discuss Control two fixtures with one motion sensor in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

bulgin

DIY
Reaction score
Hello. Please view attached images. I'd like some advice on having the motion sensor control both the light and fan. How should these wires be wired?

Attachments

• PXL_20231020_151641987.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20231020_152341863.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 3
Are the light and fan on the same circuit. Where is the motion sensor being fitted.

Apologize for my newby question but by "same circuit" do you mean the conduit running to say, the fan specifically is also on the same throw switch at the circuit breaker box? The light and fan and all electric stuff in the bathroom share one single circuit breaker. I hope that answers your question.

It does, where are you fitting the sensor.

You need to establish where the hots connect in the switch, one from each switch should be pig tailed together. There should be a neutral behind the switches, white wires. Do you have the instructions for the sensor.

Thank you. The "light" pole has a "G" letter on one of the screw in wires. The fan pole just has wires attached no indicator.

Why do they use wire that is both black and white striped. Shouldn't they have wired with color coded wire?

I have a meter although not with me know.

You need to determine which hot wire from each switch are connected together.

Specs for EXAUST FAN IN CEILING:
Current (Amps) 50 CFM= .09A, 80 CFM= .13A, 100 CFM=.20A
Power Consumption (Watts) 50 CFM= 4.4W, 80 CFM= 7.2W, 100 CFM=11.1W
Energy Efficiency (CFM/Watt) 50 CFM= 12.8 CFM/W, 80 CFM=11.4 CFM/W, 100 CFM = 9.2 CFM/W
Power Rating (V/Hz) 120/60

Green tag says: Connect green-sleeved wire to ground only in retrofit applications. When neutral connection is available, remove green sleeve and connect to neutral.

See attached images of corrected motion sensor wire descriptions and motion sensor specs on blister pack indicating 3 amp fan.

Attachments

• PXL_20231020_151641987.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20231020_181326319.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 3

Reply to Control two fixtures with one motion sensor in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net