Discuss Cord Grip for a surface mount pattress / back box? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

overskilled

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
I know this is a bit of an odd one, so bear with me, I have an idea in mind, but many of the power strips I see are either a) crap b) stupidly expensive, c) lack mounting holes or d) all of the above.
So given I have a fair number of 3 gang sockets and back boxes (bought for a job cancelled at last minute), it got me wondering if other than using a stuffing gland, if there was such a thing as a cord grip for a plastic surface mount pattress/back box?
Anyone ever heard of such a thing?
Thanks (no I haven't quite yet lost my marbles...there is a method to my madness I swear honest!)

47mm cooker pattresses usually have a cord grip incorporated in them.

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/2-gang-surface-pattress-back-box-47mm/4493d
Hmmm thats interesting, Suppose I could just go 2 gang rather than 3 (never going to use the 3s so I was just going to use them up on this project tbh....

Only ever seen 47mm surface boxes come with a cable grip

Never seen a 25 or 35mm with a cable grip

That said I rarely use those brittle plastic boxes anymore , I normally use a pvc box and a stuffing gland

Could you use metal clad sockets and fit stuffing glands in the knockouts? Or would that be a bit industrial?

Could you use metal clad sockets and fit stuffing glands in the knockouts? Or would that be a bit industrial?
I have never seen a 3 gang metal clad socket back box.
The OP wants to make his existing 3 gang sockets into extension leads I believe.

I have never seen a 3 gang metal clad socket back box.
The OP wants to make his existing 3 gang sockets into extension leads I believe.

For flips sake how did I miss that??!!

I'll blame last night's beers 🙂

That wouldn't be an issue, just don't have anything metalclad on hand and was just trying to use some bits up to be tight rather than giving the wallet moths some fresh air lol....

Re. glands, what you want here is secure clamping and you have a choice of actual cord grip bushes e.g. RS PRO, Black Nylon 66, Locating Cable Bush, 11mm Bundle Diameter | RS Components - https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/cable-separators-bushing/0607897
These don't provide a seal but they do reliably grip the cable.
Or one of the decent glands; I would recommend the Lapp Skintop range which offer good cable retention unlike some of the rubbish stocked by wholesalers. I like the ones with a strain relief tail for this kind of thing. 53111710+53119110 | Lapp SKINTOP M16 Cable Gland With Locknut, Polyamide, 10mm, IP68, Black | RS Components - https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/cable-glands/3658539

Reply to Cord Grip for a surface mount pattress / back box? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net