Discuss Danger notice. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I was called to a customer's today who'd had a spark in last week who left her with a danger notice (she wanted me to quote for the remedial work). The notice said that the danger was a 16th edition consumer unit which needed upgrading (nothing wrong with it, just 16th ed instead of 17th) and not all of the circuits (i.e. the lighting circuits) RCD protected.

As far as I know the regs aren't retrospective, so as long as the installation complied with the 16th ed at the time there's no danger requiring a formal danger notice. Have I got this wrong?

Thanks.

As long as the circuitry in the bathroom has sufficient sup bonding in place or tests prove it isn't needed then a lack of 17th edition RCD protection would only warrant a code 3 departure on an EICR just as a circuit buried in a wall at less than 50mm deep with no mech protection would do. Scandalous to say the least which makes you question if the guy actually knows what the purpose of an EICR actually is!

As long as the circuitry in the bathroom has sufficient sup bonding in place or tests prove it isn't needed then a lack of 17th edition RCD protection would only warrant a code 3 departure on an EICR

But supplementary bonding is always needed if there is no RCD protection to the bathroom circuits. The tests to demonstrate whether it is not required for the purposes of the 17th Edition is based upon the premise that all circuits in the location WILL be RCD protected.

The way I see it this is a product of the minimal training system if all you have is a 17th edition qualification nothing else exists so if it doesn't comply with the 17th it is dangerous and then creates work that is deemed unnecessary by the more qualified sparks

The way I see it this is a product of the minimal training system if all you have is a 17th edition qualification nothing else exists so if it doesn't comply with the 17th it is dangerous and then creates work that is deemed unnecessary by the more qualified sparks

Yep sounds like yet another wannabe at work here. He's really pushing his luck issuing ''Danger Notices'' where none are needed. Just goes to show how little they actually know about the really simple stuff, let alone anything else!!

I don't RCDs myself, I totally understand why they are used in kitchens and domestic situations but would avoid them at all costs if designing a commercial Job, thats just me, tin hat still in the van :sifone:

No wonder the trades in the gutter with bully boy tactics like this.

Definite case for name and shame. The local press and trading standards may be interested.

appreciate that, would always try to design a job to avoid if possible though, I am aware it isn't easy to achieve on some projects.

I just straight away thought of Hotels, Nursing Homes, etc etc....and even hospitals as being classed as Commercial.

Maybe Industrial would have been a better example to make ...lol!!

Reply to Danger notice. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net