Discuss DC cable to cable in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Deleted member 112675

Probably sounds like a really simple and stupid question but what is the easiest/best/cheapest way for a DIYer to extend multi core 12v dc cable to power a small led light strip and cable.

Can I solder directly and wrap with tape (eeek) ?
Do I need to buy some connectors - which kind and where from?

What I have right now is a soldering iron and solder. I don't have a crimper. And I don't have any connectors.

Not against buying what I need but obviously prefer if I don't have to.

Yes you can solder them but as opposed to tape use heat shrink sleeving, small sleeving for each core and a larger sleeve overall which preferably has a glue lined inner to hold it in place. Remember to fit the sleeves prior to soldering each joint.

You also get solder sleeves that you can install with a heat gun or a windproof cigarette lighter if you're careful. These solder and insulate all in one go and they usually have an adhesive ring in them that provides some nominal strain relief.

These kind things.... but shop around locally.

Reply to DC cable to cable in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi everyone, I'm looking to do some cable runs for cat6 etc in my house and was looking for some advice on blind wiring. I'm not skilled but I...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I was thinking to add some lights like in the attached image, basically twin batten lights to my attic but i'm not familiar with strip...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone, Sorry for all the questions. With he help of a friend, I recently installed some insulation into my mother's loft. Whilst adding...
Replies
Views
HI All - need to run supply cables from the drivers to the ribbons in a new build. Its an ICF so will have min 10mm of plaster plus finish applied...
Replies
Views
I having been trying to make a cart wheel chandelier for my wedding in July like the one in the photo attached. I have 31 lamp holders in mason...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock