Discuss Somfy RTS 25 Tilt & Lift Hardwire in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to do some cable runs for cat6 etc in my house and was looking for some advice on blind wiring. I'm not skilled but I can handle first fixing cables and call in the experts if required for the last bit.

I have a Somfy RTS 25 Tilt & Lift Wirefree electric blind (just one for now/testing but there'll be more). Although they're 'wirefree' (via a rechargeable battery), they can also be powered by a '12V transformer feed'. They sell a 12V AC/DC mains adapter for permanent power, but I'd prefer something a little more elegant.

Requirements:
  • Hardwire 12V DC feeds in a protected (fused) manner
  • Don't want to have loads of somfy-specific mains adapters plugged in everywhere
  • Support maximum of 7 motors in a single (bay) window
  • Take power from somewhere central e.g. network/comms cabinet or consumer unit
  • Support all blind motor manufacturers, not just Somfy
  • Support powering motorised curtains if necessary in future
  • Clean/tidy look, even if e.g. extending to motorised curtains

Idea:
1. Run a single _ gauge/core supply cable from _ to each window
2. Supply cable -> transformer? -> _Amp fuse -> Up to 7 _ gauge/core wires, one for each blind
3. Curtains -> transformer? -> ___Amp fuse -> However many wires are required for that brand

Questions:
1. Would cat5e/cat6 work? Or is there other cabling that's cheaper.
2. Would PoE work? If so, how many cables etc?
2. Should I run CAT6 for networking or is it overkill? The Somfy motors have Wi-Fi which seems a reasonable assumption going forwards.
2. Solid brick walls, what's the cleanest/easiest approach for connecting to a supply cable? Something like this? Is there a cleaner approach?
3. How would the connection work in a bathroom? Any special considerations for the moisture?
4. Transformers? What would I need at either end of the supply cable?
5. The attached install instructions mention a SLEV, would this satisfy that requirement?
6. Of course, how is the idea? What would the 'blanks' and specifics look like?

Thanks very much!

TL;DR
What's the best way to power my Somfy blinds in a futureproofed manner that'd enable supplying power to e.g. motorised curtains or blind motors from another manufacturer?

Attachments

• SomfyTilt&LiftRTS25_InstallationGuide.pdf
    669.3 KB · Views: 2

Reply to Somfy RTS 25 Tilt & Lift Hardwire in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net