Discuss Decent multifunctional tester in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

If you're still on level 2 ten you shouldn't need to worry about a tester for a while yet, the electrician you are training with should have all the test equipment you need until you are at least fully qualified.

As for EICRs you are a good few years experience away from being able to do that properly.

I just want one to play around with just to enhance my learning tbh

Id have a look on ebay. I use a Kewtech. I picked up a KT63 years ago, then swapped up for the KT63DL when I needed the different rcd types. Now i need to swap up again to do EV charging tests.

Dilog 9110 has all the tests you need for domestic.£499 brand new. The dial on it is not very positive, feels loose though. Although it does switch, when you have been used to Kewtech it feels a bit cheap. British made though :;))
The Kewtech, on the other hand has a very firm and positive switching. Personally I always use Kewtech as all tests are accessed through the dial. There is some switching/choice on various tests such as type of RCD. Megger and Fluke have menus and submenus. I find having to go through and drill down into functions time consuming and potentially confusing. I like to keep things simple. You can get all the six RCD test displayed on the kt64 upward at one time. On all the other MFT you again have to cycle through the results also time consuming and prone to operator error at times. You won't get more straightforward then Kewtech mfts'
I don't think you NEED it calibrated for now as you say you just want to experiment and find your way around testing. Although it has been said earlier the Electrician will have a tester..... People who have worked for me learning have often said how they are never allowed to do testing. It appears sparks can be pretty mean on learners not letting them anywhere near their precious tester! I feel that is a pretty stupid policy as you need the apprentice to get hands on (supervised) experience. After all they will be worth more as an assistant if they can be taught to do the testing.
I find often that while newbies have their level 3 T&I, they often fumble with testing even though they already "know" it. Often they cannot interpret results that do not fall within the test rigs they learnt on. I mean for instance when they do a Zs and it is 1.57 for an RFC, what now?!!! What do you do?

Last edited:
And that’s the thing. It’s horses for courses.

Following the sales pitch above for Kewtech, which I don’t disagree with, here is my counter pitch;
For ease of use and price IMHO you can’t beat a megger 15xx. Plug two leads in and leave them there. All tests on one dial. RCD selection on other dial. No menus, sub menus, function keys. Instant continuity tests. Run IR tests as long as you want.
They are incredibly robust and the batteries last forever. I genuinely believe it’s the simplest and easiest to use MFT there has ever been and probably ever will be.

(I agree that Kewtech testers are very easy to understand and use, and also a decent choice. I used to have one and passed my 2391 with one.)

The DiLOG ones are very good value, and British as well. I find mine a touch slow compared to my Megger stand-alone IR/continuity (low-R) tester, but don't have the experience to compare with other brands of MFT.

Recently we acquired a Megger ground resistance meter for any earth rod or similar work, but until now for sites with power I just did a high current Zs on the rod to find the Ra value. Works if power there, not good for early stages without AC power or high accuracy (a moot point considering how rain impacts on rod Ra), but ultimately not such a common thing for UK domestic work.

Its not a bad buy . very very compact . Ive used their PAT tester which is the same size and it was fine .basic but did the Job . BUt ...A KT63 from Kewtech thats been looked after for £240 ish and calibrated would be a better bet ??

This one looks a good bet:
Just calibrated and passed, and looks in great condition.

Would you say that's got everything you need for domestic work etc?... and EICRS etc?

I've seen a eew megger 1710s and 20s etc about 100 more than what you quoted .. what do they have that that the 15xx Sanger doesn't have ??

Dilog 9110 has all the tests you need for domestic.£499 brand new. The dial on it is not very positive, feels loose though. Although it does switch, when you have been used to Kewtech it feels a bit cheap. British made though :;))
The Kewtech, on the other hand has a very firm and positive switching. Personally I always use Kewtech as all tests are accessed through the dial. There is some switching/choice on various tests such as type of RCD. Megger and Fluke have menus and submenus. I find having to go through and drill down into functions time consuming and potentially confusing. I like to keep things simple. You can get all the six RCD test displayed on the kt64 upward at one time. On all the other MFT you again have to cycle through the results also time consuming and prone to operator error at times. You won't get more straightforward then Kewtech mfts'
I don't think you NEED it calibrated for now as you say you just want to experiment and find your way around testing. Although it has been said earlier the Electrician will have a tester..... People who have worked for me learning have often said how they are never allowed to do testing. It appears sparks can be pretty mean on learners not letting them anywhere near their precious tester! I feel that is a pretty stupid policy as you need the apprentice to get hands on (supervised) experience. After all they will be worth more as an assistant if they can be taught to do the testing.
I find often that while newbies have their level 3 T&I, they often fumble with testing even though they already "know" it. Often they cannot interpret results that do not fall within the test rigs they learnt on. I mean for instance when they do a Zs and it is 1.57 for an RFC, what now?!!! What do you do?

That's exactly what I was thinking. This is why I just want to get into the habit now.

Some ebay items come without calibration. But have a 30 days return policy. I was thinking of buying 1 and if it fails calibration. I can always return it as faulty?

How much do calibration on MFTs usually cost ? Also do they just check if it works properly and give accurate readings? Is that all they do ?

How much do calibration on MFTs usually cost ? Also do they just check if it works properly and give accurate readings? Is that all they do ?
£30-£50 and basically yes
Would you say that's got everything you need for domestic work etc?... and EICRS etc?
Yes, I have one as a spare and regularly use it for installation and EICRs
I've seen a eew megger 1710s and 20s etc about 100 more than what you quoted .. what do they have that that the 15xx Sanger doesn't have ??
They are a newer model, they show PFC at the same time as loop test instead of needing separate test, they are slightly lighter, they take 6 batteries not 8, and that’s about it as far as I recall.

The 11, 21 and 41 add 2 wire low current loop tests. The 10,20 and 40’s don’t have these, the Kewtech kt63 doesn’t have these, and to best of my knowledge the Dilog units don’t either.

£30-£50 and basically yes

Yes, I have one as a spare and regularly use it for installation and EICRs

They are a newer model, they show PFC at the same time as loop test instead of needing separate test, they are slightly lighter, they take 6 batteries not 8, and that’s about it as far as I recall.

The 11, 21 and 41 add 2 wire low current loop tests. The 10,20 and 40’s don’t have these, the Kewtech kt63 doesn’t have these, and to best of my knowledge the Dilog units don’t either.

Thank you so much. In your opinion is it worth the xtra cost to get that in the newer ones with that function?

In your opinion is it worth the xtra cost to get that in the newer ones with that function?
I don't view it as an essential feature. The tester I use day-to-day doesn't do that test. It doesn't cause me any problems.
All low current tests are not terribly accurate so if things are RCD protected I prefer to calculate Zs anyway.

The obvious situation where that test helps is if you specifically want to do a loop test at a light switch that doesn't have a neutral on an RCD protected circuit. But calculating the Zs instead (which is more accurate) just involves an extra walk to the CU and back.

While there are a few different makes and models of MFTs the vast majority (and all the ones mentioned in this thread) will get the job done. At the end of the day they are are just tools like screwdrivers. Don't overly worry about finding the holy grail of testers!

Reply to Decent multifunctional tester in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net