Discuss Difference in spec for these D3V microswitches? in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Shooby

-
Reaction score
Hi.

Just replaced the second door microswitch in my Sharp R959 combi/microwave oven - there's three there in total; the first went a couple of years back, and the third is still ok. That's not a problem - it's been great machine for many years, and has only ever required a new TT motor, oven bulb and the two m'switches in all that time.

Anyhoo, when looking for a replacement m/s this time, I found a few variations of the Omron D3V, and checked the specs of them all. The Sharp original was a D3V-16G-1C25, and the one I replaced it with (for reasons of not having to buy a multipack) was a D3V-16-1C25. Looking at the specs of each, the ONLY difference I can find between them is that the non-G switch has a contact gap of 1mm whereas the 'G' (original) is only 0.5mm. (See link below).

(1), even 1mm seems tiny for a contact gap! What is it actually referring to? And (2), if it is the open contact gap, isn't 1mm better than 0.5mm anyway?! If anything, it would seem to me to be a 'better' spec? Or am I missing something? :)

Many thanks for shedding any light on this - it seems a bit strange to me.

https://docs.rs-online.com/1956/0900766b80dbf2c9.pdf (see item 2 in 'Model Number Legend' under 'Ordering Information')

The difference is not just the gap (although it's connected) the main difference is the standard that the switch is approved to.

The g type is approved by ul , the non g type is approved to European standards

EDIT
Forgot to add, either should be ok for your application

Last edited:
Sharp will have chosen the original for specific reasons.
One of them will have included the price but generally it will have been the characteristics and performance.

One thing to remember about a larger gap is although on opening it won't make any difference to the break time, the make time on closing could be longer (possibly only micro seconds) with the wider gap, depending on how the leverage on the contact is set up.

as long as it goes "ping" when your pie is hot.......??

Thanks all - helpful and interesting stuff.

My reheated coffee is often required quite urgently, but microsecond break times don't figure too much in this.

UL vs EU cert - do they just cover different parts of the world (eg UL - Canadian?)

And do you think there's really only 0.5mm and 1mm open gaps inside?! Lawdie. That can't be right?

Yup - pie comes up good. It's a cracking oven :)

Reply to Difference in spec for these D3V microswitches? in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net