Discuss Distance Of Fire Rated Light From Timber Joist in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

dave1233

Hello

My builder has recently made holes for down light in my living room. I noticed that 2 or 3 holes hit the joists and some are flush against the joists.

I have purchased aurora fire rated down GU10 downlights and want to know what the minimum distance the devices should be from the wooden joists. What is the safety requirements?

Thanks
Dave

50 mm from joists.

I have no GU10 in stock, however Aurora are quite clear on their instruction sheet, see copy of a 12V I guess your instruction leeflet will be similar?

jpg066.jpg

k.jpg
Just one to add for your interest,

How not to do it........

This joist was in my mothers kitchen, the builder just drilled the joist away and fitted a non fire rated GU10 into the gap, you cannot see the scortching from this photo!

Last edited:
Don't let your builder hogwash you with "...it doesn't matter because they are fire rated..."
The fire rating means that they retain the integrity of the fire barrier (ceiling) in the event of a fire.

50 mm from joists.

I have no GU10 in stock, however Aurora are quite clear on their instruction sheet, see copy of a 12V I guess your instruction leeflet will be similar?

View attachment 12135

This is their website, you can get most of the instructions from the individual product pages Aurora - 'Passionate about Lighting'

I am sure they recommend the distance for a reason, you know like wood is flammable when subject to heat! Normal halogen lamps get up to 250 Deg C the IRC coated ones to 400 Deg C !!!!

what a plonker! not only has bob the bodger made a fire risk, he has also weakened the joist/s. a call to trading standards and/or citizens advice/solicitor is called for here.

Agreed best to stick with instr's....but don't get overly het up about it. Something would need to be catastrophically wrong for a Gu10 aluminium reflecting downlight in a can a few centimetres from a joist to make something happen....

i wouldnt be to bothered that the spots are a nats cock away from the joist just use led lamps it will cut down the heat produced from the fitting,
i would be more bothered though that you builder is doing your electrics hes the fire risk not the spotlights.:cowboy:

1. tell your "builder" to jog on and get someone in who knows what they are doing.

Ever heard of a little thing called FIRE? It doesn't do your house much good!

Minimum 50mm from joists! It'll be in the instructions that came with the lights you bought.

2. What's your builder doing fitting downlights? He should stick to building.

The distance varies with product ive seen 80mm and 100mm before but if GU10's you have to assume it has a chance of any kind on lamp been fitted, dont go down the path of thinking that fitting LED's then that would let you get away with it, what if next owner of house fits 50w halogens in. Redrill the holes when the builder asks why just confuse him with a bombardment of reg's and refuse to fit them where they have been drill.

To save alot of hassles use the new cutouts to patch the old holes up if you screw in a little batten over the old holes.

Dave, the regs we "electricians" use state that along with everything else, Manufacturers instructions must be followed. If your lights state a 50mm gap between them and any other surface then that is what has to happen. Get the holes redrilled....simples

Reply to Distance Of Fire Rated Light From Timber Joist in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net