Discuss Does SPD MCB size matter? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

See Reg 531.3.2 unwanted tripping (ii) rcbos should be considered. Also see section 314
The way I read that is if you expect tripping then minimise it. Under a normal situation in a domestic setting you don't expect any RCD to trip whether its an RCBO or dual RCD board. However if you have a bank of computers that have a bit of earth leakeage then you might get unwanted tripping so use RCBO's instead.

The way I read that is if you expect tripping then minimise it. Under a normal situation in a domestic setting you don't expect any RCD to trip whether its an RCBO or dual RCD board. However if you have a bank of computers that have a bit of earth leakeage then you might get unwanted tripping so use RCBO's instead.
The reg states it just something to be considered. So its up to you if you choose to follow it. I prefer to use separate rcbos, but if the spec requires a split load board thats what will be installed . Just to add regarding spds. Hagers connect straight to the main switch with no OCD in the board

The reg states it just something to be considered. So its up to you if you choose to follow it. I prefer to use separate rcbos, but if the spec requires a split load board thats what will be installed . Just to add regarding spds. Hagers connect straight to the main switch with no OCD in the board
So do the Wylex and Crabtree ones, the first one I did I put the earth in the bottom and then thought why is there an earth position in the top as well. I'd set the board up with a space to the right of the main switch as well so it was all a kerfuffle to put it right again. I wish manufacturers would all stick to a similar design.

Reply to Does SPD MCB size matter? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all, Grateful for your expertise regarding my confusion on the below. Context: French rural domestic property Single phase supply, TT...
Replies
Views
Just thought I'd share this quick sobering story that happened to me a couple of weekends ago.... Overhead 230v lighting festoon, LED golf ball...
Replies
Views
I'm following a spark who used an existing Panel Heater circuit, for new gas boiler circuit 6 months ago. The panel heaters were removed, so it's...
Replies
Views
I have a baffling problem with a newly-installed PIR floodlight and I'd like advice from the forum as to whether it's defective (and should be...
Replies
Views
Hi, I recently had an EICR done at my property which unfortunately was unsatisfactory. So the electrican advised a new fuseboard from BG General...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock