Discuss Door bell wiring - advice please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Neptune

DIY
Reaction score
I am planning to replace battery powered door bell with one of these mains powered sets:

A couple of questions please:
1. I have a socket and light nearby. Can I take a permanent live from either location? Will ensure that the Socket isn't a spur.
2. Do I take my permanent live into a FCU (3 amp fuse? Couldn't see the wattage on this chime) and then into the chime/transformer? We then take a 2 wire bell cable out to the push button

I would appreciate your guidance with this please.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Straight away, before someone tries to be a clever dick…. There’s a transformer built in…

So 230v in… from either source, but you will need a live and neutral… some switches only have live and switch wire. There may not be a neutral at all, or it’ll be parked in a connector in the back box somewhere.

There is no amperage or wattage marked on the 230v side, but it does say 8v 1A on the secondary. An FCU with a 3A will be more than ample.

Reply to Door bell wiring - advice please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hello, I would liked to install a Byron wired doorbell with built in chime and 8v transformer. I'm struggling to get power source. I have a...
Replies
Views
Hope you're all well . I've had ring door bell 2nd generation hardwired for 1.5 yrs... it was connected to transformer which is connected to the...
Replies
Views
Hi, A lot about this fault confused me to be honest. So customer complained the doorbell was not working as intended. By that I mean the chime...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Friedland 752 chime box in my living room which is the most ugly thing. We have not had a doorbell attached to it in the 5 years we...
Replies
Views
Hi. I have a blink video doorbell and want to connect a 12v mechanical bell (pic attached below). I know Blink only allow 16v-24v AC transformers...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock