Discuss Dual supply isolator and EDF in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am being irritated by EDF at present. Last week I phoned them and asked them if they would be supplying a double pole isolator into the meter box between the meter and the consumer unit. They said in my area, Plymouth, it was our responsibility to fit a double pole isolator for the meter engineer to connect his tails to. It was also said that it was expected of us to do this, although I'm aware some actually provide it? So I installed a Wylex dual supply switch

Dual Supply REC Switch

and connected the tails from the consumer unit to the top. I've installed two sets of tails in total, one set for the consumer unit and one set for a future PV installation. Now, seeing as it was expected of us to supply and fit an isolator. I thought it best to fit the Wylex dual supply switch as I have only installed a standard dual rcd consumer unit, not a fancy wylex pv ready board etc. So that at a later date the PV could be added. The meter engineer turned up and threw his toys out the pram saying that the switch was not allowed in the meter box because it was our property. Well that's loverly but they told me to supply and fit a double pole isolator, where else was I supposed to put it.

So having been refused a meter on a brand new build house because the meter engineer didnt like the look of the switch installed. I have been on the phone and email to the EDF technical department. I got a response today saying this

"Most meter operators ask for a means of isolation on the load side of a meter, especially when the meter is installed in an external box, or cupboard. The advantage for the customer is the ability to de-energise there supply, making it safe to work on the consumer unit. Also as double insulated tails are being used, the switch provides a point of responsibility between the supplier and the customer. Looking at the photo, the only thing I noticed is that the isolating device is three phase. Normally the device would be a single phase switch.?"

I've attached the photo. It might look like a three phase switch but Im pretty sure it's not. It's voltage rating is 230v.

image001.jpg

nowt wrong with that isolator. obviously the guy from edf don't know that it's to isolate 2 supplies simultaneously, rather than 3P+N.

The meter box is paid for, supplied by and fitted by the property owner.
How does that make it the meter suppliers property?

Now if you haven't left them enough room to fit the meter that's another issue.

Looks O.K tho', meter just under the label, tails up from cutout and then down to YOUR isolator.

The meter box is paid for, supplied by and fitted by the property owner.
How does that make it the meter suppliers property?

Now if you haven't left them enough room to fit the meter that's another issue.

Yea I've had that train of thought as well...

I thought I left enough room to be honest. If I were a meter installer I could get a meter in that space.

How come the cut-out has had to be bodged on to a bit of chipboard screwed on at a 'jaunty' angle? Did someone mismeasure somewhere? Daz

How come the cut-out has had to be bodged on to a bit of chipboard screwed on at a 'jaunty' angle? Did someone mismeasure somewhere? Daz

Yep I also thought that was crap on part of Western Power. It was heavy rain and they were working in a trench so the bottom of the box would have been at head height, so I think they used a step ladder or a plank across the trench to fit the cut-out. I agree they rushed it to get done so it ends up bodged....

quite simply the bloody cable is too short to lift the cutout fully onto the backboard.
typical pi$$ poor dno handywork.

and the isolator is clearly 4 pole , which is why the monkey meter fitter freaked out when faced with more terminals than his peanut brain could comprehend.

the OP has every right for the main switch to be in the meter cupboard so stand your ground.

and the isolator is clearly 4 pole , which is why the monkey meter fitter freaked out when faced with more terminals than his peanut brain could comprehend.

Brilliant... Also this switch comes with blanks that can be placed over the terminal entries that are not to be used. I put two blanks in the top and two in the bottom, covering the unnecessary L & N cable entries. All I needed was a big flashing sign saying put your ****in cables in here...

No real reason for them not to use that switch but I have to question why you have used a 4 pole switch and what you intend to wire to the other two poles?
Normal PV insulations are simply connected to a spare way in the consumer unit either via an MCB or RCBO and they feed in back through the meter so not sure why you would need a second set of tails

No real reason for them not to use that switch but I have to question why you have used a 4 pole switch and what you intend to wire to the other two poles?
Normal PV insulations are simply connected to a spare way in the consumer unit either via an MCB or RCBO and they feed in back through the meter so not sure why you would need a second set of tails

It won't be a feed in system, it'll be off grid.

I think they've started doing this as standard. YEDL have done it on a couple of jobs last year and with yours that makes three, so therefore it MUST be the new trend. Looks sh1*e

Jim

Unless i'm mistaken, (it is early here lol!!) by the look of it, you have used one pole of each of what will be 2 DP switches. So i'd move those tails to accommodate the left two cable entries on that dual isolator, the right two entries will then be for your future PV system.

Unless i'm mistaken, (it is early here lol!!) by the look of it, you have used one pole of each of what will be 2 DP switches. So i'd move those tails to accommodate the left two cable entries on that dual isolator, the right two entries will then be for your future PV system.

The switch has entries NNLL from left to right with busbar links inside. I actually think I've left a link in between incoming NN which should be moved to the outgoing NN.

Last edited:
The switch has entries NNLL from left to right with busbar links inside. I actually think I've left a link in between incoming NN which should be moved to the outgoing NN.

Fair enough. Just looked up the manufacturer's data on these; obviously designed for PV installation.

I'd leave the links on the incoming side. Otherwise, no point in having a 4 pole switch.

I think you're right. If you don't there is still a link between the two systems with the switch in the off position, not good for DNO personnels health.

I think they've started doing this as standard. YEDL have done it on a couple of jobs last year and with yours that makes three, so therefore it MUST be the new trend. Looks sh1*e

Jim

They have been doing that in Milton Keynes for donkey's, plenty of external meter boxes there.

Reply to Dual supply isolator and EDF in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net