Discuss Durable motion sensor spotlights in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

LHaven

DIY
Reaction score
Looking for a product recommendation from a pro.

I have a few spots on our ranch where I have motion sensor spotlights. I have conscientiously installed the best ones I could find at any given time. The last few sets I bought were halogen, all-metal, including the sensor head, and came with lifetime guarantees. Whoopie!

The problem with lifetime guarantees is that they're worth squat when the company goes out of business. That's happened on the two most recent brands I bought.

The problem with the units themselves is that I've never found a unit where the fresnel window wasn't plastic, and out here in the desert, plastic doesn't last long. The high quality metal heads never seem to be available as replacement sensors, just the cheap plastic Chinese junk that isn't mount-compatible and fries in two years at most anyway.

Also, the electronics could be a lot better. In January, I was cleaning out the shed and found a brand-new unit in the box that I had overlooked. I installed it where I had a dead one, and it's already gone plotz — the sensor led on the front blinks feebly and continuously, and the light stays on all night. The lens hasn't even had time to fossilize. Of course, once the lens does fry, the electronics turn to soup anyway.

Surely somebody must make a quality unit (for a price) out of materials that last, like actual glass. Mil-spec, or whatever. I'm coming up empty. Can anybody recommend one?

(Not looking for that low-intensity solar stuff, I have AC power available at all the stations.)

Thank you!

not sure what's available in US but here we always now use LED units, not halogen, good brands here are Ansell, Collingwood, Luceco,and several nmore . we expectto pay around £50 ($65) for a decent PIR LED floodlight, (30 watts) more for the larger types.

I just viewed some of these. All but one clearly had plastic windows. which is the weak point. And, of course, the 220V thing is a non-starter here. But going to an LED output isn't unreasonable. I'll wait to see if anyone has recommendations of US units. Thank you.

Reply to Durable motion sensor spotlights in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net