Discuss Ellectrical installation safety in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Alextheo01

Hi there,

I a new to this forum and I would greatly apppreciate any advice you can give. I bought a new home approximately 14 months ago, but unfortunately for me it has been an unmitigated disaster! I apologise for the long winded post, but you need to understand the full facts of my plight.
My home is literally being gutted because the plumbing, plastering, electrical istallation, joinery & flooring etc. is so bad. I have been living in a caravan on my front garden with my family for the last 4 weeks whist the repair work is being carried out by the building insurance company and I am told that we will still be living in it for another 2 months before the repair work is completed.
The electrical work is particularly bad and that I would greatly appreciate your advice as to how to proceed or to whom to complain to because I know that I have been lucky that nobody was injured or worse. I did not even receive a copy of the electrical installation or test certificates despite numerous requests, but my local council's Building Control department did receive a copy, but they won't even give me a copy of the electrical certificate for my own home as it would "breach the Data Protection Act". I suspect the reason why the builder will not give me a certificate is because he signed off the electrical certificates himself and from the poor quality of his work I striongly suspect that he is not a competent or qualified person who can do electrical work. The builder is not registered with any electrical body or the competent persons scheme. I know that he likes to show people an old expired CORGI card as proof of competence.
I have raised my concerns with my local council Building Control department who basically don't want to know.

Examples of the poor electrical workmanship are:-

* Floor/ceiling insulation resting directly on top of downlights when the manufacturer recommendations is that the down
lights (that do not have hoods) should be clear of any insulation for at least 500mm.
* Spur switches supplying bathroom extractor fans where there is still current in the live cable to the fan even when
the spur switch is in the "off" position.
* Light switches partially fitted behind door frames.
* Internal 2.5mm twin & earth running along the outside wall in the guttering with no protection.
* Main consumer unit casing melted after 2 months. The builder had been given a warning notice by the supplier that
the consumer was faulty and shoud be immediately replaced, but the builder decided to leave it in placeas he thought
it was OK).
* Sockets and extraction fans in bathrooms within zone 1 areas.

Find a local sparky through recommendation, and get an EICR done, then work from there.

As Murdoc has said. Get an overall picture of your installation. There may be more wrong that you can not see.

It's to late for that the opportunity has said new work has started so nothing to test!
Do you know the name of the company that did the work ?
I am sure building control has to give you a copy of his cert because it pertains to your house ,

Went to Trading Standards and they won't take any action as the house is on private property and is a new build..........

Then there is an organisation which covers new builds I am sure and under the data protection act building regs has to give you the information about your house.
How many houses were built on your estate is it a barratts site for example ? As these large companies have a code to work to

The builder is a small independent. There are only 5 houses on the development but 4 out of the 5 have problems and still Building Control won't do anything.

If you feel that the installation is dangerous to use due to the construction methods employed and you have this confirmed from a reputable professional.
Once you have contacted Building control (who as you say have accepted a retroactive electrical installation certificate) and they are not concerned with taking any action (even though that action may well be at your cost in accordance with the building act).
Then talk to the HSE and see if they would be interested in looking at this situation.

If you feel that the installation is dangerous to use due to the construction methods employed and you have this confirmed from a reputable professional.
Once you have contacted Building control (who as you say have accepted a retroactive electrical installation certificate) and they are not concerned with taking any action (even though that action may well be at your cost in accordance with the building act).
Then talk to the HSE and see if they would be interested in looking at this situation.

Plus tell as many of your friends and neighbours as possible - rogue traders with a bad reputation find it harder to do business!

Plus tell as many of your friends and neighbours as possible - rogue traders with a bad reputation find it harder to do business!
Just out of interest..a new law comes into force this October, whereby the penalty will be greatly increased to punish those that set out to rip people of doing rough work etc

Reply to Ellectrical installation safety in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net