Discuss Ceiling fan installation in newly built home in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

JoeFixes

DIY
Reaction score
I am installing a ceiling fan in a newly built home. The builders have left the wiring for this purpose. In the electrical box on the ceiling I have a black, white, red and green (ground) wire. The ceiling fan has only three wires (black, white & green (ground))

initially I connected black to black, white to white and green to green. I left the red wire capped and tucked it up inside not to be used.

The setup does work…with the provided remote control. The fan goes on/off and the light kit operates fine, but all from the remote control. There is a wall switch at the entrance of the room however, but the wall switch does nothing. I can’t help but think that if I somehow hooked up that red wire, it might be controlled by the wall switch.

But since the fan had only three wire, I don’t know where or how the red wire would be connected.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank You

JoeFixes

American wiring colours, so I’m sure I’ll be corrected if I’m wrong…

The green, as you think is the ground.
I believe the white is the neutral.
Black appears to be permanent hot ( not through the switch) so I’m expecting the red to be a switched hot.

I am installing a ceiling fan in a newly built home. The builders have left the wiring for this purpose. In the electrical box on the ceiling I have a black, white, red and green (ground) wire. The ceiling fan has only three wires (black, white & green (ground))

initially I connected black to black, white to white and green to green. I left the red wire capped and tucked it up inside not to be used.

The setup does work…with the provided remote control. The fan goes on/off and the light kit operates fine, but all from the remote control. There is a wall switch at the entrance of the room however, but the wall switch does nothing. I can’t help but think that if I somehow hooked up that red wire, it might be controlled by the wall switch.

But since the fan had only three wire, I don’t know where or how the red wire would be connected.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank You

JoeFixes
The red wire is your switch leg. You can unhook the black which is a constant live wire so if you change the wiring to the red wire it will only work with the switch.

This makes good sense! So you are saying to cap the black wire and tuck it away unused, like I am doing for the red wire now?

Reply to Ceiling fan installation in newly built home in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net