Discuss Minor Works Certificate – Details of Departures from BS7671? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

This thread is beginning to remind me of the thread about whether a circuit feeding an a garage/shed should have rcd protection to include the feed to the garage/shed, or just at the garage/shed part of th instaallation.

I think it was generally agreed that the whole circuit including the feed shoulf have rcd protection.

An interesting thread and as usual its obvious that we sparkies don't have a consistent view on the regs.

How for gods sake do the people who write the regs expect Joe Public to understand them if they make NO attempt to market and advertise these MOST COMMON situations. Its left to us to try and get things done to the regs and then the bloke down the pub comes and does what the client wants ignoring the regs all together.

Rant over.

exactly murdoch, the regulations are written in a law way and the only way us sparks can understand them properly is to go to university and get a degree in law!, surely the regs has to start being written in plain language for all sparks to understand if all sparks new the regs they wouldnt want to be jumping on forum sites explaining things to other sparks to give them the correct terminology.

This thread is beginning to remind me of the thread about whether a circuit feeding an a garage/shed should have rcd protection to include the feed to the garage/shed, or just at the garage/shed part of th instaallation.

I think it was generally agreed that the whole circuit including the feed shoulf have rcd protection.

that depends!!. lol (only joking or there again?)

In the 1st amendment to the regs there are proposals that on a MEIWC the use of RCD can be omitted when the designer deems it is not neccessary to fit one, but that is in the future, if it is included, which it still may not.

just out of curiousity i remember reading about this when the 1st ammendment draft was written, but it may sound like a daft question, i take it that this part of the 1st amendament draft never be came part of the of the new ammendment ? as i cannot see anything relation to this in the regs

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
no.. the idea was scrapped because somebody at the IET suggested that it was common sense.

Rather unlikely, as that would not strictly comply with the Regulations requiring minimum inconvenience.

Yes it is so why resurrect it?

Try using the search facility and read first before asking questions that have been answered ad nauseam.

You have a valid point Tony but had this member not posted in this thread then I probably wouldn't have had the pleasure of reading it. Very interesting points raised throughout :thumbsup

Reply to Minor Works Certificate – Details of Departures from BS7671? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net