Discuss EAL or C&G Inspection and Testing? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Evening fella's,

I'll soon be enrolling on the inspection and testing course but ensure which is best.

Both EAL and C&G are recognised and both offer the same end result. They are also both the same price although the structure of the eal course is better with the exams.

Does anyone know of a good reason to choose one over the other?

Cheers.

Both recognised. Both printed on the back of the JIB/ECS gold card.

.....but have you ever seen a job advertisement where they state EAL testing and inspection? I never have. They always say looking for C&G 2391.

You'd still probably get the job with the EAL qualification but it's just something to think about.

Last edited:
Both recognised. Both printed on the back of the JIB/ECS gold card.

.....but have you ever seen a job advertisement where they state EAL testing and inspection? I never have. They always say looking for C&G 2391.

You'd still probably get the job with the EAL qualification but it's just something to think about.

Yeah, that's a really good point and the main reason I asked the original question.....I've never seen a job post asking for the EAL inspection and testing qual.

The structure of the EAL includes one, 2 hour, exam with the overall course said to have a higher pass rate than C&G. EAL is also open book.
The C&G course involves an extra exam and is closed book.

I'm pretty sure the C&G has gone open book to match the EAL. That was one of the changes when they "brought back" the 2391.

C&G is definitely open book. In fact u can only take guidance note 3 into the eal exam but u can take all iet books into the c&g.

eal has no short answer written exam. So 2 exams in c&g and only 1 in eal. Which is probably why most ppl choose eal if given the choice

C&G is definitely open book. In fact u can only take guidance note 3 into the eal exam but u can take all iet books into the c&g.

eal has no short answer written exam. So 2 exams in c&g and only 1 in eal. Which is probably why most ppl choose eal if given the choice
All the IET books? That's just cheating:tearsofjoy:
Mirror what Remedial said all open book, except for the photo exam on the course I did (C&G)

Photo exam?

All the IET books? That's just cheating:tearsofjoy:

You don’t have to use them :p

Photo exam?

Yes, apparently it was the ‘visual inspection’ part of the course, ten ish, poor quality photos with quite dated installed equipment in them. Taken prior to the practical element which held zero visual faults, i.e it was all about the physical testing process, the only faults were readings driven.

One of my short answer questions involved the 3m rule.
I mentioned the Reg about overload protection in my answer, got sent back to add a mention the fault protection Reg.
I also mistook one question as being about periodic inspection, when it was in fact about initial verification.
Got sent back to cross out my answer and change it.

Found a couple of faults which were not the ones required in the photo questions. Wooden back box that didn’t have signs of burning, and Line and Switch Line terminated in the wrong terminals.
Line terminal was enclosed, and Switched Line terminal was exposed, one of those Cheesehead screws like you see in America.
Decided to leave them in as I still consider them to be faults, and just added the lack of BS number and lack of CPC.

Multiple choice exam was open book, with BS7671, OSG and GN3.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to EAL or C&G Inspection and Testing? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock