Discuss Earthbond Test in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

shocker

Hi

Please advise
Last year a PAT tester tested a fridge ( 3- 6 months old at the time).Carried out Earth bond test however could not get a good contact having only a croc connector and no probe.With this failed the appliance.The owner got in an electrician who put his meter on it and tested ok (£80 for mins work).The owner was not sure if it was a PAT tester or multimeter used.
I had the job this year of testing the owners appliances.He had mentioned the problem but as I have both probe and croc test leads hopefully shouldnt be a problem.
However upon testing the fridge my PAT tester also came up with failed ,tried various areas to make a contact.There are two earth cables both coming from inside and terminated on the outside with a crimped tag ( one on the bottom near the compressor and the other at the top near the rad.I even scratched a bit of paint off on the frame at the bottom to try to make a contact but still no good.
I carried out a run test and came up with a pass ,insulation test was ok.
I didnot have time to run meter to measure continuity across the earth pin and the earth tag.
My worry is that how two different PAT testers fail the unit but another didnt.
This new fridge is very plastic but surely they dont make a Class 2 appliance as I did not see the label identifying Class 2 appliance.
Any thoughts what I should do ?

Cheers

some pat testers allow you to put in the details of the lead ie 1.5mm 13a 2m long this then adjusts the earth cont max reading have you got this option

if not verify the earth as you say with an ohm meter and record it somewhere

be sure you are happy

some pat testers allow you to put in the details of the lead ie 1.5mm 13a 2m long this then adjusts the earth cont max reading have you got this option

if not verify the earth as you say with an ohm meter and record it somewhere

be sure you are happy

My tester doesnt have that function, I think the lead is approx 2m and is 1.5m.The plug is sealed but the fuse is a 13A.
If I check ohms am i looking for a reading less than <0.1

Many thanks
Shocker

Hi

Please advise
Last year a PAT tester tested a fridge ( 3- 6 months old at the time).Carried out Earth bond test however could not get a good contact having only a croc connector and no probe.With this failed the appliance.The owner got in an electrician who put his meter on it and tested ok (£80 for mins work).The owner was not sure if it was a PAT tester or multimeter used.
I had the job this year of testing the owners appliances.He had mentioned the problem but as I have both probe and croc test leads hopefully shouldnt be a problem.
However upon testing the fridge my PAT tester also came up with failed ,tried various areas to make a contact.There are two earth cables both coming from inside and terminated on the outside with a crimped tag ( one on the bottom near the compressor and the other at the top near the rad.I even scratched a bit of paint off on the frame at the bottom to try to make a contact but still no good.
I carried out a run test and came up with a pass ,insulation test was ok.
I didnot have time to run meter to measure continuity across the earth pin and the earth tag.
My worry is that how two different PAT testers fail the unit but another didnt.
This new fridge is very plastic but surely they dont make a Class 2 appliance as I did not see the label identifying Class 2 appliance.
Any thoughts what I should do ?

Cheers

When ever I have done fridges I find that the croc:) clip on the bottom door hing with the door open makes good contact with the chassis

Ive had some probs with fridges too. Sometimes the earth point is not assembled very well, with the underlying area being painted, and relying on a star washer to cut through to make contact. If you can, remove, scratch the paint and test the lead before reconnecting. Charge as a minor repair.........

My tester doesnt have that function, I think the lead is approx 2m and is 1.5m.The plug is sealed but the fuse is a 13A.
If I check ohms am i looking for a reading less than <0.1

Many thanks
Shocker

The maximum acceptance figure is 0.1+R (where R is the resistance of the supply cord).
In other words a reading between any earthed part of the appliance and the main earthing point must be less than 0.1.
Adding the lead resistance will give you an acceptance figure of 0.1266 between metalwork and plug.

Reply to Earthbond Test in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net