Discuss Easiest way of 60hz to 50hz for US machine in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

-Matt

-
Reaction score
So basically have a job where a customer wants 3 belt sander's in a mobile workshop.

Unfortunately the sander's they are insistent on using are from the US and rated at 60HZ and 120V, with a 1HP rating - think this is around 1KW?

Getting down to 120V is not an issue, would prefer to use a single transformer As this is being installed in a HGV trailer - space is tight, but have some space next to the mains board.

But not sure about getting from 60hz to 50hz, from my googling its not really come up with what i need.

So can anyone suggest what would be needed? if there happened to be a bit of equipment that did both voltage and HZ that would be even better!

So anyone and ideas on what's needed? not something ive come across before, as most equipment seems to work on both 50+60hz.

Cheers

So basically have a job where a customer wants 3 belt sander's in a mobile workshop.

Unfortunately the sander's they are insistent on using are from the US and rated at 60HZ and 120V, with a 1HP rating - think this is around 1KW?

Getting down to 120V is not an issue, would prefer to use a single transformer As this is being installed in a HGV trailer - space is tight, but have some space next to the mains board.

But not sure about getting from 60hz to 50hz, from my googling its not really come up with what i need.

So can anyone suggest what would be needed? if there happened to be a bit of equipment that did both voltage and HZ that would be even better!

So anyone and ideas on what's needed? not something ive come across before, as most equipment seems to work on both 50+60hz.

Cheers
I’m from the US and have wired European equipment and 50 HZ didn’t really cause a problem. SO I’m going to assume that you will be fine. There’s other folks on this forum that has a lot more on this subject knowledge than I do. Possibly be your motors Might run higher RPM’s or lower. Some one will be add to your question

If you need 60Hz a quick search has found 50Hz To 60HZ Frequency Converters | Power Systems International - https://powersystemsinternational.com/frequency-converters/50hz-to-60hz-60hz-to-50hz-frequency-converters/ I have never used them but they may be able to offer a solution

I remember many years ago a company I worked for built control panels for some machines that were part of the float glass process that Pilkingtons set out all over the world the company used to hire frequency / voltage convertors so we could test all the functions of the machines

Generally speaking 60Hz stuff will work at 50Hz but motors run slower and probably not able to deliver quite the same max power as they were designed for.

Converting 50Hz to 60Hz is possible but expensive, as UNG says if using VFD you get independence of the supply voltage and frequency (within reason) but if means more equipment to be fitted somewhere.

Assuming they are driven by induxtion motors, on 50Hz they will run 17% slow and slightly hotter than designed. That might be OK. If the lower speed and a slight reduction in max torque is acceptable, run them at about 105-110V and that will prevent excess heating.

A VFD is a better idea, if the budget will stand it They are not large and will give the motor the 60Hz it wants.

Getting them to run at 60hz will mean they run better .There is a huge market for barbers to run their expensive clippers .When is use they sound so much better etc .So its worth doing

Replace the motor with a 50hz one?
The motor speed will be determined by the number of poles so to get the more speed you would need a motor with less poles. That might then be too fast. If you change the pulleys to compensate the current isn't linear to power output so it wouldn't be simple.

you would need a motor with less poles

Not generally practical at these sizes. Almost all motors in small machinery are either 2- or 4-pole. Typical induction motor speeds for 50Hz are 2850 / 1425 rpm and for 60Hz 3450 / 1725 rpm. If the original motor is 4-pole the speed would increase to 2850/1725 = 165% of design speed, which is much more of a problem than 83%.

Once you get up to the 25hp+ bracket you will see more 6-pole motors.

I suspect Davesparks comment refers to making sure the motor is working at the correct magnetisation current and able to deliver full torque, rather than dealing with the 17% slow issue. But in that you are correct that changing a 60Hz rated motor to a 50Hz rated one won't change the speed.

Most bench belt sanders / linishers have one belt roller directly on the motor shaft, so there's no way to change the drive ratio.

VFD for the win.

Reply to Easiest way of 60hz to 50hz for US machine in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net