Discuss EICR 521.10.202 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Help please guys.
Im doing a commercial EICR, and there is plastic trunking, and conduit everywhere. Dado trunking also. So going to code it mostly as a 2. But how would one rectify cost effectively? Dado in particular? Conduits are quite easy, as just change the plastic clips to metal.

All round band and wall dog screws./

I would only code 2 where it may impede emergency access, such as in corridors or over doorways. Otherwise code 3 and no action required.
I do not see how a dado trunking around the perimeter of an office wall (for example) could warrant a code 2.

I would only code 2 where it may impede emergency access, such as in corridors or over doorways. Otherwise code 3 and no action required.
I do not see how a dado trunking around the perimeter of an office wall (for example) could warrant a code 2.
Down to interpretation, for me dado along a length of wall, in fire, can become a trip hazard, if the cables inside have not been metal fixed.

Down to interpretation, for me dado along a length of wall, in fire, can become a trip hazard, if the cables inside have not been metal fixed.
Indeed down to interpretation, but interesting to think that a dado trunking around the inside of an office, wired for arguments sake just 4 years ago, fully compliant at the time, is now considered potentially dangerous by some.
I'd love to be a fly on the wall during that conversation with the client. At least in an escape route a coherent argument can be made for potential danger which a client can understand.

Indeed down to interpretation, but interesting to think that a dado trunking around the inside of an office, wired for arguments sake just 4 years ago, fully compliant at the time, is now considered potentially dangerous by some.
I'd love to be a fly on the wall during that conversation with the client. At least in an escape route a coherent argument can be made for potential danger which a client can understand.
Yeah 18th is great eh?

I think it's taking things to extremes. In walk ways you could get hanging cables causing various problems whereas, against walls, it would be a completely different situation. There could be all sorts of stuff up against walls. Plenty of dado's are above worktops or desks.

You can get metal clips for inside plastic trunking, that might have been used, otherwise it is a way to fix the danger when it is running in escape routes, etc.

Another thrilling installment of the 18th edition meets the fire risk assessment.
While I can understand the need for cables overhead to be secure to prevent entanglement as has already been mentioned a dado trunking doesn't pose the same threat while there may be a slight trip hazard from cables falling to a floor from waist height along a wall a fire will create many more trip hazards than just cables contained in a dado trunking, in a lot of cases now unless there are persons reported the fire brigade do not without good reason enter a building.
Most fires now are fought on a dynamic risk assessment for the first 59 minutes after that they have to have a written risk assessment which as a firefighter mate of mine pointed out that usually results in a lot more damage before the fire is brought under control

Reply to EICR 521.10.202 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net