Discuss EICR code for inaccessible earth rod in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

mattg4321

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Come across this a couple of times recently whilst doing eicr’s. Everything all ok except there is no access to the (presumably) earth rod. The cable just disappears under a patio.

Of course it may not even be an earth rod. It could be a plate or something. I’ve been giving these a C3 as I don’t know how reliable the connection is to the rod without being able to inspect it. Perhaps it should be FI though. This would then require lifting of the patio, which is perhaps a bit extreme given the ze is very good.

One of them had a very recent consumer unit change that looked to have been done very well. Should they have addressed the accessibility to the rod as part of this? I’m really not sure.

Another one is fire rated downlights. In most houses the ceiling is not considered a fire barrier, but it may be in flats/3 storey houses etc depending on how they are constructed. Either way imo it’s not a matter of electrical safety, so no code. I may note it on the report with no code though if I think any downlights are piercing a fire barrier and should be fire rated. Thoughts?

I'd say if you are getting a reading on rod, C3 and recommend rcds on all circuits or find earth connection plate

As for fire rated fittings, if bedroom above must be fitted C3 or observation maybe

There’s nothing in bs7671 about downlights as such but 527 deals with sealing of fire segregated compartments, if a fire barrier is penetrated, it needs to be suitably sealed, most homes are a single compartment and more often and not, fire rated downlights are not required.
Building regulations may require them tho but that’s not really a bs7671 issue.

no access to the (presumably) earth rod. The cable just disappears under a patio.
You may find this similar thread helpful:

Reply to EICR code for inaccessible earth rod in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net