• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss EICR Codebreakers in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Dan

Staff member
Admin
Mod
Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, so this term has come to my attention just now. Never heard of it before in the electrical industry as such. Seems to be brought about by NAPIT. But it's just a term for inspecting in an orderly fashion I assume? And tips to watch out for?

So. Wondering if it's worth us creating a EICR Codebreakers forum, or at least a thread prefix. We have some of the best minds in the industry on here. And statisticians who scan the quickest way to do something are plentiful. We just need a way to bring them out.

We can update our threads quicker than a book can be republished. And certainly cheaper (free!).

Anybody got a copy of this book to send me?

Is it available digitally? If not, why? :D
Have I got this wrong? Is it something other than a tips book?
[automerge]1569003750[/automerge]
Having said that, Alan Turing, I suppose he was an electrical guy, and also a codebreaker! Maybe the term even stems from the electrical industry?!?!

Okay, so this term has come to my attention just now. Never heard of it before in the electrical industry as such. Seems to be brought about by NAPIT. But it's just a term for inspecting in an orderly fashion I assume? And tips to watch out for?

So. Wondering if it's worth us creating a EICR Codebreakers forum, or at least a thread prefix. We have some of the best minds in the industry on here. And statisticians who scan the quickest way to do something are plentiful. We just need a way to bring them out.

We can update our threads quicker than a book can be republished. And certainly cheaper (free!).

Having said that, Alan Turing, I suppose he was an electrical guy, and also a codebreaker! Maybe the term even stems from the electrical industry?!?!
afaik, it's a guide as to what codes you use on a eicr for certain faults/deviations/departures etc. e.g. a CU with open access to live parts would be C1.

So. It's just a list of codes then. That conform.

And you have to carry this around? Or it's in the office where you complete the forms after getting home?

Why on earth isn't this digitally done?! It's 20-bloody-19! PMSL.

Tickled me that has. I thought it was something way more technical than that lol

I should remove Alan Turing's name from the thread. It's just a bloody index! :D :p
He'd be turning in his grave if he knew I used him as an example for basically, a list. :)

Got to get me one of these books. :D

ooOOooO To buy it I hope and not an illegal copy of it?! :eek:

They've got more clout than me. They've been selling a copy of a page for years for £20 a pop!

I think I have a copy of it on my laptop. I’ll have a check in the morning.

I was always told to follow,

C1, immidiately dangerous, exposed live parts etc.

C2, will become a danger under fault conditions, high Zs, no RCDs where required etc.

C3, does not meet the above but is non compliant, unmarked line conductors, labels etc.

FI, somethings amiss but not sure what, higher that expected, but not non compliant, Zs, borderline IR results.

When applied to the issue you see this methodology very rarely leaves any room for confusion.

But then maybe I'm oversimplifying things?

If I bought that book I'd find myself constantly arguing with it.

Anyone can download the Best Practice Guides foc.
Just Google best Safety council best practice guides and, pick the one you require.
Sorry Mate I think it's Electrical Safety Council best practice guides you need to Google

Last edited:

Yes it is available digitally now.

Have a copy of the NAPIT codebreakers. (Did I just admit that)
Useful but make sure you question there reasoning, I say again, QUESTION there reasoning behind some of there code 2s,
Because !! They don't ??
Example; Pg 38 Section 5.12.3 No RCD protection for PVC/PVC cables in walls NAPIT code breakers will leave you putting a code 2 on this.
Do so at your own peril, because you've just dug a hole for yourself.
And if you don't know why, you shouldn't be doing EICRs.
The NICEIC Domestic periodic inspection testing and reporting 18th edition is far more realistic IMHO and aligns better with the Best Practice Guides.
Remember you can code what you will but its your signature on the dotted line.
To harsh and your generating unnecessary work in an attempt to rip the customer off.
To lenient and your not competent and not doing your job properly.
And all for a couple of hundred quid.
Hang on !! my mate, knows a mate, who's brothers wife's uncle, knows a bloke down there local pub, who will do it for a tenner. ???

Reply to EICR Codebreakers in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back