Discuss The truth about CEF and why is it so expensive. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

If I do an online order. I request a quote first. Then my branch apply all the discounts upload the quote then I could order the parts. I find they give me good discounts and I like there next day delivery which seems to be working ok again now .

I tried that once and they quoted about 6 months after the order was delivered. The branch whose door I never darken is considered my local branch.

Edit: I just might request quotes on any future online orders, if for no reason other than to annoy the people in that branch.

I tried that once and they quoted about 6 months after the order was delivered. The branch whose door I never darken is considered my local branch.

Edit: I just might request quotes on any future online orders, if for no reason other than to annoy the people in that branch.
My quotes come back within the hour mind you we do give them a lot of business😀 . I think it all depends on the beach you use.

I use them for emergency lighting and 3 phase cables.
They take AMEX and a discount if invice paid esrly. If i take a quote in from another local supplier they will at worst match it often beat it. Add in my airmiles which i convert to nectar and 2.5% for esrly payment and we got a happy relationship.
I can easily spend around £6-7k a month on materials locally. Im not averse to going into all of them and showing quotes from different
suppliers. It keeps them honest!
Within 100m i have Rexel., kew, cef, add 1/4 mile in i got screwfix, toolstation, edmundsons.
When one of them said we dont take AMEX anymore. I said i wont be buying here anymore then and walked out. Had a phonecall later that day saying we dont as a rule take AMEX due to the fees but as you spend so much each month with us we will for you. When the new zappis came out they sent me prices. I sent it back marked in red and said i can get them for this much online so match it plus another £20 and you keep the zappi orders, they did as i wanted.
Never be afraid to set out your terms of them supplying you. They want your business and have targets to meet, especially when they leave target figures on the whiteboard outback showing if they have met it or how fsr under they are that week or month.
I once placed an order for around £2.5k and outright said i want an ev charger but will take an extra 3 if you do them at my usual price plus 10%, he moaned but then i pointed to the white board and said isnt it better you meet you target and make an extra whatever it is from the extra 3 units than just the profit in the 1st unit.
He reluctantly agreed and met his monthly target by a few hundred and got the branch bonus. So i reminded him how i helped!!
Basically never be afraid to ask them the cost price and see the screen where it shows there profit!!

Going back some years certain wholesalers had special deals from certain manufactures which made them more competitive than other wholesalers. When I worked for a big electrical contractors they used WF for near everything but they got any MK gear from Edmundsons due to the cheaper price. I remember picking up gear from Edmundsons one day and asked about this special price and they in effect were selling MK to the big local contractors at cost price but MK gave Edmundsons a 5% rebate. Still to this day I am not sure how this worked but the contractors didn't complain as they were getting MK boards and Logic plus gear at cost price

Going back some years certain wholesalers had special deals from certain manufactures which made them more competitive than other wholesalers. When I worked for a big electrical contractors they used WF for near everything but they got any MK gear from Edmundsons due to the cheaper price. I remember picking up gear from Edmundsons one day and asked about this special price and they in effect were selling MK to the big local contractors at cost price but MK gave Edmundsons a 5% rebate. Still to this day I am not sure how this worked but the contractors didn't complain as they were getting MK boards and Logic plus gear at cost price
They get price breaks on their turnover if they hit target A then it might be 5% rebate if they hit target B it's 7.5% rebate target C and it's 10% rebate
I once got a quote from Edmundson's for £5K for some Thorn fittings that was substantially cheaper than everyone else quoting £7K turned out that Eddy's were quoting at £1500 below cost to them to get the order because the rebate from Thorn was worth much more ISTR around £10K - £12K

I use Rexel (Wilts) and screwfix. It's too much hassle to price match with screwfix, but as their prices are good anyway it doesn't really matter. With Rexel, I always have an online price handy and then ask them to better it. They match/better it perhaps 60% of the time. It's definitely worth having a friendly haggle as @Gavin John Hyde suggests. In fact one chap at the branch always asks me straight away what price he needs to beat. I used to tell him, now I've cottoned on to the fact it's best to let him go first with a price! 😄

I use Rexel (Wilts) and screwfix. It's too much hassle to price match with screwfix, but as their prices are good anyway it doesn't really matter. With Rexel, I always have an online price handy and then ask them to better it. They match/better it perhaps 60% of the time. It's definitely worth having a friendly haggle as @Gavin John Hyde suggests. In fact one chap at the branch always asks me straight away what price he needs to beat. I used to tell him, now I've cottoned on to the fact it's best to let him go first with a price! 😄
A good example is the Bath Rexel sales guy asked me this morning if i wanted any Zappis without the buitl in hub, these will still be compliant come 1st July via software update but people now want the ones with hub inside. I said hed have to knock a bit off.
offering untetethered for £462+ VAT and tethered £482+VAT which is actually a bargain.
CEF by coincidence called me about chargers yesterday evening, they will price match Rexel on the zappis, I will be happy to send a few orders there way to keep them primed for the time i need a godo price on something only they have.

Reply to The truth about CEF and why is it so expensive. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock