Discuss The truth about CEF and why is it so expensive. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The trouble with buying the goods online (assuming it's genuine) is the returns process. My wholesalers aren't too local (nearest is roughly 20 miles away but they all deliver, for free, up to 5 days a week). Wrong item sent out is sorted same day if the need is there, and if an item fails under warranty I have the replacement before the faulty item is even touched.

Also have found CEF generally the cheapest for cable for about the past 5 years...and that's including the likes of Screwfix and Toolstation.

You can walk into our branch down here and leave with out getting served or even seeing a single soul……it’s lucky for them I’m the last true bastion of integrity!
Obviously I know this is only true of my local store as if I use any others they are always ready to help but my local one has tainted me they are so bad in there it’s unbelievable, I’ve taken back £100’s of unused stuff and been assured leave it with us well refund it and then been billed for it twice on my invoices, and that’s happened more than once…..:the place is a shambles

Exactly. It’s unknown.

It might last as long… it might fail within a week.
“Real” products are tested…. To destruction in some instances so that the manufacturer, seller and end user - us - are confident in its qualities.
Fake Wago

At first glance they look exactly like a wago but they are a copy , I have a couple boxes of fake wagos I picked up online for about 3 quid a box. Haven't tried them out yet but there must be millions of fakes out there being used on a daily basis on site

Fake Wago

At first glance they look exactly like a wago but they are a copy , I have a couple boxes of fake wagos I picked up online for about 3 quid a box. Haven't tried them out yet but there must be millions of fakes out there being used on a daily basis on site

That's the trouble - all these counterfeit connectors hidden away and they will most probably never be seen or checked again. Let's hope they went though all the testing and approvals eh (sarcastic comment).

That's the trouble - all these counterfeit connectors hidden away and they will most probably never be seen or checked again. Let's hope they went though all the testing and approvals eh (sarcastic comment).
At £3 for a box of 50 , I doubt very much that they went through any sort of quality control when they come out the sweat shop in Vietnam

You can walk into our branch down here and leave with out getting served or even seeing a single soul……it’s lucky for them I’m the last true bastion of integrity!
Obviously I know this is only true of my local store as if I use any others they are always ready to help but my local one has tainted me they are so bad in there it’s unbelievable, I’ve taken back £100’s of unused stuff and been assured leave it with us well refund it and then been billed for it twice on my invoices, and that’s happened more than once…..:the place is a shambles

I'm close to a couple of branches - one I'd visit regularly get small bits & pieces for my employer and the guys are great, but too expensive to buy from for myself. The other branch is like something out of a sitcom and I wouldn't set foot in the place - it could be half an hour before someone comes to the counter and that's just so they can moan about the inconvenience of customers coming through their door.

I'm close to a couple of branches - one I'd visit regularly get small bits & pieces for my employer and the guys are great, but too expensive to buy from for myself. The other branch is like something out of a sitcom and I wouldn't set foot in the place - it could be half an hour before someone comes to the counter and that's just so they can moan about the inconvenience of customers coming through their door.
Duncrue by any chance? I find it like that on the extremely rare occasion I'm there, and YESSS in Duncrue even worse.

Some of these wholesalers I have been in it feels like you are an convenience to the trade counter staff

I much prefer my screwfix click and collect app , you get lots of offers and money off vouchers like 10% off every purchase in May I was paying £71 inc vat for 100mtr of 2.5 prysmain. my local wholesaler couldn't get anywhere neat that price

Some of these wholesalers I have been in it feels like you are an convenience to the trade counter staff

I much prefer my screwfix click and collect app , you get lots of offers and money off vouchers like 10% off every purchase in May I was paying £71 inc vat for 100mtr of 2.5 prysmain. my local wholesaler couldn't get anywhere neat that price
I order online from screwfix through Quidco cash back website… Sometimes get little bonuses but normally 1% on spend.

Got £45 beer money sitting from last 12 months spend.

Started using a Chase bank card as well, which is also 1% cash back.

Tried one of those cash back sites a couple of years back, as I used to spend thousands each month online, but it never worked and eventually I gave up. Problem was the access it needed to browsers and even giving full access to the cashback site, along site purchase was made from, wasn't sufficient.

They make money from your data, which is fair enough, but that wasn't something I was prepared to give unlimited access to for several hundred pounds a year. I know a number of people who are very happy using cashback sites and get a lot of money from it.

CEF often win from me simply as they're everywhere and do mail order - my home account branch isn't even anywhere near my home base (London / Somerset). The only thing which does wind me up is that the online ordering prices never seem to include the discount structures - everybody pays the same - and life's too short to spend hours on the phone getting account prices.

CEF often win from me simply as they're everywhere and do mail order - my home account branch isn't even anywhere near my home base (London / Somerset). The only thing which does wind me up is that the online ordering prices never seem to include the discount structures - everybody pays the same - and life's too short to spend hours on the phone getting account prices.

Their online operation is excellent and customer support is great when stuff is missing. Downside, as you state, is high prices on everything.

If I do an online order. I request a quote first. Then my branch apply all the discounts upload the quote then I could order the parts. I find they give me good discounts and I like there next day delivery which seems to be working ok again now .

CEW are worth a chance, their Newry store is decent, despite the fact I'm not using them as much as I'd like to.
Used to have an account with them when they had a branch in Liverpool although a good mate of mine was the manager when they opened the branch, I will quite often have an account at the wholesaler whenever he moves on to a new job. I always found the finance bod at CEW an aggressive pain always on the phone chasing an account that was a few days overdue I think that stunted their expansion plans as I don't think they have any branches over here now

Used to have an account with them when they had a branch in Liverpool although a good mate of mine was the manager when they opened the branch, I will quite often have an account at the wholesaler whenever he moves on to a new job. I always found the finance bod at CEW an aggressive pain always on the phone chasing an account that was a few days overdue I think that stunted their expansion plans as I don't think they have any branches over here now
I'd only be using them about once a month, I'm based on the other side of the town so I just use an independent wholesaler in the same industrial estate as myself.

I'm not quite as involved in electrical installations anymore.

Plant & Machinery is my priority to be honest

Reply to The truth about CEF and why is it so expensive. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net